Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

3 WEEKS INDONESIA THIS AUGUST - HELP!

• DBARRETT420

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2013

Hello,

Would appreciate your help, my friend and myself are planning a three week trip to Indonesia this August. Pleaces we'd like to visit (in no particular order are;
    * Java (Mount Bromo)
    * Sumatra (Orangutans)
    * Bali (Culture & Beaches)
    * Gillis Islands
    * Lombok
    * Komdodo Island (Dragons & Pink Beach)
    Was wondering if anyone could recommend a route to achive all of this in 3 weeks and advise on where to fly in an out of Indonesia (Flying from England). Also advise on domestic transport i.e to catch a train, bus (over land) and a fast boat or plane island to island(budget option) .

Any help or advise would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Dani

#1 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 09:37

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I don't think this is do-able in 3 weeks. I did Java-Gilii Air in 3 weeks and felt the pace was good (though I did get held up in Yogyakarta for a bit longer than expected). With three weeks you could easily just do Java and Bali. If you stay near the beaches in Bali there is no reason to jet over to the Gillies. If you find you really like Indonesian people and food (which you most likely will), then save the Gillies and Komodo for a return trip.

Fly into Jakarta as it is the cheapest, take a train to Yogyakarta for the culture and history there (3/4 nights) then onto Bromo overland and maybe even hit up Ijen on your way to Banyuwangi to catch the ferry to Bali. Spend the rest of the time exploring Bali.

#2 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 17:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Dani,

I agree with caseyprich above -- not really doable in three weeks.

You could fly into Jakarta , then fly west to Medan (for Bukit Lawang/orangutans) them fly back to Jakarta & onto Surabaya (for Bromo) then again to Denpasar for Bali. Speedboat to the Gilis then to Lombok for one of the cruises through to Komodo -- while that could possibly be done, I wouldn't recommend it.

My advice would be to consider dropping the orangutans, flying via Kuala Lumpur to Surabaya so really commencing the trip at Bromo. There are fairly standard tour services you could take you from Bromo onwards to Bali, spend 6-7 days exploring a few spots in Bali, then maybe 4-5 days on the Gilis with the balance taken up with Lombok and the boat trip through to Komodo, allowing for a day of transit back to KL for exit to London.

Hope that helps

#3 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 19:33

• kitajimaland

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2013

Yes i agree with you all,its hard to arrange best itenary if you want go to sumatera-Bromo-Bali-Lombok. But its possible if you go to Medan (bukitlawang) for orang utan at the end of your trip.There is several flight from Medan to KL and going back to England
    JKT/KL/SG-Sby(Bromo)-Bali-Lombok-Komodo Island
    Komodo(labuan bajo)-Bali-Jkt-Medan

#4 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 20:31

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

You can do all of this in 3 weeks, but it's not advisable as the distances are huge and you will be flying at every single opportunity to avoid bus/boat travel. Wouldn't be the best way to enjoy the country in my view.

I'm a big fan of Bukit Lawang, so I would recommend heading to Medan first. Spend a few days there and then fly to Surabaya for Bromo. Get to Bromo under your own steam and then hook up with an agent around there somewhere to arrange your transport right through to somewhere like Lovina on the north coast of Bali. Zip through Lovina, Ubud, Padang Bai for fast boat to Gilis. From Gilis do a slow boat to Komodo and then fly from Labuan Bajo back to Bali. From Bali fly home.

That should be doable in three weeks with Bali the only place where you have any flexibility. In all honesty, you'd be zooming through Bali. I'd give Komodo a miss actually. It's such a pain in the arse to get to and from. Komodo and the islands around really deserve more time as well -- think a week.

Anyway, if you were to do a more conventional trip, you'd fly into Jakarta and do Java, Bali and Gilis. Most people do that because it's the most sensible route in terms of transport and those places have some incredible spots.

#5 Posted: 2/2/2013 - 21:53

• wisnu

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2013

Skip Sumatra - fly to Surabaya then start from Bromo - Ijen - Bali (you can easily spend 2 weeks in Bali) - Gilis island and Komodo.

#6 Posted: 8/3/2013 - 11:25

• AnandaJuned

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2013

Medan is a strategic transit going in /out Indonesia, very near and easily to reach the next country around SEA and or to other areas in Indonesia.
    Anyway for sumatra, agree what Mooball posted, iam also a big fan of bukit lawang. Perfect place for jungle green things and local people. i have some recommended based on my last exp. with primata & paradise for such a great bamboo bungalow and jungle experience or food in junia cafe taste delicious.

#7 Posted: 21/5/2013 - 23:29

• SophieLK

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2013

I'm doing 3 weeks from the end of June to endish of July.

I'm thinking of trying to do:

Flight - London - Jakarta 28th June arrive 30th June 5.55am
    Flight Jakarta - Bali Densapar 30th June 6.20am

Week 1 - Bali to Gili Islands with maybe a couple of days in Lombok (best places?)

Week 2 - travel back overland to Jakarta seeing highlights along the way (recommendations for best e.g. Yogykarta etc.) ending up Surabaya .

Week 3 - Fly Surabaya to Banjarmisin - Spend a week seeing rainforest etc. (any recommendations, oranugtans etc?)

End with flying back from Banjarmisin on the 20th late evening and fly back to London 21st early morning.

Is this realistic to be able to do in 3 weeks?

I've done lots of travelling before (India (did 3 weeks with no flights and did west to east practically!), Thailand etc.) but was wondering if (with flights included) this is able to be done. I'm not bothered about spending nights travelling in trains, third class or not.

Anyone have any ideas?

Much appreciated :D

x

#8 Posted: 23/5/2013 - 10:02

• SophieLK

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2013

Oh and I forgot to say I won't be staying in Bali when flying in but going straight to the Gili islands :)

#9 Posted: 23/5/2013 - 10:03

• mahdibromo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2013

for bromo option, you can have a 24 hours trip. fly to surabaya at the morning, arrange a private car (IDR1,200,000 for two ways), arrive in cemoro lawang (bromo) at the afternoon, go check in to a fine hotel (cafe lava hostel is recommended) and you can have all the bromo's view in the morning. you'll leave bromo to the surabaya's airport at 8am-9am and arrive at the airport at 11am.

for a budget option, you'll need more time. arrive in surabaya, go to the surabaya's bus station (bungurasih) and have an executive bus to probolinggo depart every 15 minutes (IDR20,000-IDR30.000 for 2-3 hours trip), arrive in probolinggo's bus station you can have little green shuttle bus lastest departure is 3 pm (IDR50,000 for 2 hours trip) to bromo. the way back to surabaya you can have the same transportation or you can have train from probolinggo to surabaya.

#10 Posted: 23/5/2013 - 20:01

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 Weeks Indonesia August / September, help with itinerary / travel suggestions... ... By nochnbier on 19 Apr 2013 4 3716 28 Jun 2013