Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Two Weeks in Indonesia - itinerary help

• RJB2288

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2013

My sister and I have 2 weeks to travel through Indonesia in May and need help with picking out the best itinerary for that amount of time (its way too short - but my work won't let me stay away).

From my research, Sulawesi, the more remote parts of Bali, Lombock, and Sumatra sound like the most interesting places to go - but I know we can't cover that much ground in 2 weeks. So does anyone have any advice on how to get the most out of our time there with some sample itineraries? We want a mix of cultural experiences, nature sights/treks, and beaches (and diving if possible). And we would also love advice on things to do/see in each place.

To give you a sense of what sort of travelers we are...we both love to go off the beaten path and have authentic (or at least seemingly) experiences.

I would appreciate any advice people have! Thanks!

#1 Posted: 13/2/2013 - 17:34

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

With two weeks I'd get your list of four islands (Bali, Lombok, Sumatra and Sulawesi) and narrow it down to two and go from there.

For example in two weeks you could see a bit of Bali and a bit of Lombok or Sulawesi. I really wouldn't want to cover more.

You also don't mention Java and that is well worth a look and would fit well with your interests. See the following for a sample one week in Java itinerary

Cheers

#2 Posted: 13/2/2013 - 20:20

• Brute

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2012

A few years back I was in in Indonesia, I'll try giving you a hand but things may have changed and exact details have slipped my mind.

2 of my favorite parts were going to the gili islands. We spent about a week on gili air and it was really nice, small island and great snorkeling right off the beach. Gili air is the smaller of the 3 there wasn't even an ATM, no huge bars and was fairly quiet( not too many other travelers). The locals were really friendly we even went to a wedding. Not only was gili great, the trip up was equally enjoyable. The boat from
    Bali to Lombok was pretty relaxing, not the most exciting but the trip is half the fun. I believe the trip is a day each way, you can take a plane from
    Nearby gili for back to Denpasar for, at the time, 50usd compared to around 25 for the day bus and boat combo. This is agood idea Since times is limited.

After gili we went back to Bali, rented some scooters and went exploring. There's lots of smaller places along the north coast. The
    Most memorable for me was Badung. It's a decent sized city, still alot
    Of resteraunts and hotels, but a little distance from
    The chaos of kuta. It was a 4 hour drive away. Not much for a beach or ocean sight seeing, however you can do fishing or check out some dolphins early in the morning.
    I'll apologize now as I'm
    Typing from an iPhone and it sends grammar out the window.

Enjoy your trip

#3 Posted: 13/2/2013 - 20:39

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I'd agree with somtam and keep it to a couple of places. Last year I spent about 6 or 7 weeks in Bali and Java. You could consider an itinerary that involves East Java and Bali.
    For example - fly into Denpasar and find a 'home' in Bali. Rent some scooters and explore the island on your own. I found the north (Ahmed, Lovina and Pemuteran (beaches/diving)) to be relatively empty compared to the craziness of Kuta/Seminyak. Get to Gili Manuk and grab a ferry to Java. With the amount of time you have I would consider staying in the East. Ijen (trek), Bromo (trek), Malang and Jogja come to my mind as a few cool things/places you could probably see in a week - 3 of the 4 for sure. And get your return flight out of either Jogja or Surabaya depending on where you finish. Or you could try the reverse...starting in Jogja and make your way to Bali.
    When a few other people here start going on about Sulawesi and Sumatara - you're going to have a tough decision to make! Enjoy...

#4 Posted: 13/2/2013 - 21:57

• Laszlo

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2013

Take your pick from one of these:

http://www.east-indonesia.info/planning/indonesia-travel-information-itineraries.html#two_weeks

You could in theory visit maybe 2 major islands in 2 weeks, but I think spending all your time on one big island would be more rewarding.
    Of course smaller ones like Bali and Lombok would be easy to combine.

#5 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 20:59

• RJB2288

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2013

Thanks everyone for their replies - very helpful!

#6 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 15:27

• Lazyturtle

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi RJB2288,

I am planning also to travel to Indonesia in May for two weeks. I am solo female. It would be great to have travel buddies along the way. What are your approx dates and itinerary? Let me know.

Nur

#7 Posted: 22/3/2013 - 01:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
6 weeks SEA (mainly Indonesia) itinerary ... By littlwoop on 18 Nov 2014 6 281 21 Nov 2014
4 weeks in Indonesia: your ideal itinerary! ... By champp on 18 Feb 2011 7 19010 4 May 2011
Itinerary - Indonesia - 6 weeks (First time backpacker) ... By firsttimeindo on 10 Aug 2014 6 744 10 Aug 2014
6 weeks itinerary Vietnam & Indonesia - is this vaguely realistic? ... By Lettie2012 on 3 Jan 2013 37 4839 16 Jan 2013
3 Weeks Indonesia August / September, help with itinerary / travel suggestions... ... By nochnbier on 19 Apr 2013 4 3758 28 Jun 2013