Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Being a student in Indonesia and travel afterwards

• aprilshine

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2013

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked already, but with multiple internet searches I have not been able to find a similar situation to answer my question and put my mind at ease...

OK, so I will be a student for 6 weeks in Indonesia (Java) coming up in a few months (I have a letter from the sponsor in Indonesia and all that). I understand that I will likely be applying for a 60-day Social-Cultural visa, as this seems to be the type of visa students get.

However, my question is this: for the remaining 2 weeks after my schooling is complete, am I legally allowed to be a "tourist" using the Social-Cultural visa? OR, do I have to leave the country and re-enter in order to void my Social-Cultural visa in order to gain a 30 day tourist visa?

Thoughts?

Thank you...

#1 Posted: 27/3/2013 - 21:12

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

You do not need to apologize- I have never ever seen this Q before. The 1st thing I ever had to learn about computers etc: IF noone has bothered to put it in-you will not be able to get it out.For Indo this also holds: once in-passed immigration, noone will check, make fuss, or redirect you.
    For a SC visa you need support/letters from your school before you even start applying.
    Idiot ideas about ''legal'' are just that.
    As alternative-you can simply eihter get the normal tourist visa for 60 days- or the payonentry for 30 and extend when in Indo-but this will need visits to korrupsi-stuffed offices. Airlines may also get nasty when you do not have flite out in 30 days for the latter.

#2 Posted: 29/3/2013 - 08:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
American student trying to travel to Burma ... By naloring on 23 Sep 2009 14 5963 6 Aug 2011
Best places for student travel in Malaysia? ... By terenkleon on 26 Jan 2012 1 2813 27 Jan 2012
Is an ISIC or student travel card worth it? ... By Drapes1 on 17 Jan 2010 2 5575 1 May 2011