Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

13 days Budget Itinerary Java Bali. Opinion?

• jivie798

Joined Travelfish
    6th February, 2011

We are planing a trip to Java and Bali in early July 2013. I need opinion, if what I've planned is physically plausible and by time realistic.
    Day 1: Arrive in Jogjakarta. Tour around Jogjakarta. Arrange hiking tour to Mount Merapi, and transportation to Borobudur the next day.
    Day 2: Reach Borobudur. Arrange sunrise trip to Temple complex.
    Day 3: Sunrise tour Borobudur and Prambanan. Return to Jogjakarta.
    Day 4 and Day 5: Mount Merapi hike. Another sunrise tour.
    Day 6: Travel to Surabaya. Rest.
    Day 7: Travel to Cemoro Lawang.
    Day 8: Mount Bromo sunrise tour. If there is time, Madakaripura Waterfall.
    Day 9: To travel to Banyuwangi.
    Day 10-13: Bali
    Is it a do-able itinerary? We will be traveling in a group of four (at the time) and we are budget travellers. Budget: USD 1000.

#1 Posted: 31/3/2013 - 06:25

• Advertisement

• ly

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2013

hai,
    D1-Jogjakarta, very easy and the best way to discover the city is by hired a bycle(i done it last year November with IDR 20000 per day) maybe your gang can try this method.many agent around Malioboro area can arrange Merapi trekking tour.
    D2-Prabanam and Borobudur normally done one day, the itiniary it will be: 4am off hotel for sunrise Borobudur, 1130am at Prabanam. than you have hald day, suggest go to Meseum or visit Taman Sari the water castle(there are english guide). D2 night , Merapi trekking.
    D3-12 noon back from Merapi.(not very sure how's your team fitness, if ok than this afternoon or night can take train to Malang, from there than tk local transport to Bromo area).
    D4- If from Surabaya, tk bus to Probolinggo than only to Cemoro lawang(Bromo area).if from Malang, tk bus to Pasuruan than to Probolinggo.
    D5-Bromo sunrise, than straight from there to Bayunwangi for Kawah Ijen(Unique Volcano creator with sulfur mineral and it is worth to visit while you are at east Java)
    D6- Ijen and to Bayunwangi than off to Bali.
    D7-D13-Bali than home.

-i done Jogjakarta and Bromo different time but both solo backpack and it can be done it very-very budget, the little high expenses part it Prabanam and Borobudur ticket(if join local tour it will be USD38 both, excluding transport).
    -for Merapi, i done cycling from Jogja town to the Kaliedem and Kinarejo(the last village destroyed by 2010 erruption), my puopose of hiking can't be done due to raining season(i visited November last year) .
    -Bromo tour, i join local tour start from Probolingo and it cover also Ijen.
    -Bali, i done it in family trip( 4 person too), so we rent a car and driver there 6D5N to cover most tourist hot spot(i done it end year 2011)

as what i seen your itiniary , 4 days in Bali , i think maybe it was not enough.
    USD 1000ppax should be more than enough for budget traveller, including tranport on Jogja--off Bali, and also accomodation 2starts and guide and ticketing.

enjoy the trips.

#2 Posted: 28/4/2013 - 10:43

• doyanmelanc-
    ong

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2013
    Location Indonesia

hi there!

how many of u all?
    if 4-5 then i suggest rent a family car+driver that also cover as the guider.
    using motorcycle is going to having the risk of rain and minimize things u can bring a long trip from the spot to spot not to mention if u lost on the way lol
    and then i dont find any motorcycle rent with price $2/day, if there is any then i dont think u can use that as most reliable price here (at yogyakarta), generally price of motorcycle price is $5-6/day.
    public transportation is minim in yogya.
    visiting yogya just for borobudur and prambanan? oh come on u can get more than that :)

if there's anything u need to ask about this then dont hesitate say it.

Best regards,
    DM

#3 Posted: 7/5/2013 - 03:35

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

All of those tours could bring the price up, it isn't cheap to do the sunrise trek of Merapi from what I remember. Some people also do B&P in a day, but I think each can be enjoyed in their own day with an afternoon to explore the city more, as Yogya is quite charming. That said, I'm not sure why you'd stay out by B to wake for the sunrise, it'll be nicer to sleep in Yogya and just get up very early and have a car drive you to B before sunrise. If you do each in one day, then you have a solid activity each day but a relaxed evening so you don't get too worn out. You fill up 3 days with early early mornings to B and M, but can probably sleep in late and catch P a little later in the day. Three solid days in Yogya is a very good idea (I got stuck there for nearly a week). Just realize that you'll be hiring your own car and you may want to hire the same driver for three days up front if you can (or book everything with the same operation) to see if you can get a bulk discount for both the quantity of you and your explorations. Wish I could help more with actual budget and prices but I just rented a moto for the area.

As well, with so many of you I agree that you can simply rent a car to take you directly to Mt. Bromo and avoid the detour to Surabaya - you may be able to add that to the above package and get a cheaper ride all the way to Banywangi . . . they will probably want to detour you to Ijen on the way. You'll have earned those three days of relaxing and doing nothing in Bali by the time you get there.

#4 Posted: 7/5/2013 - 07:45

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

$1000 per person is more than enough. You have a bit of fat built into the itinierary especially the bit about travelling out to Borobudur in preparation for sunrise the next day. Borobudur isn't far from Yogya - just do the tour based in Yogya. 2 nights at Bromo is nice and I do recommend it for those that have time, but I'm not sure I would spend 2 nights there at the expense of another night in Bali somewhere if my total schedule was only 13 days.

#5 Posted: 15/5/2013 - 06:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary Java-Bali ... By kitsune on 7 Jun 2011 4 3461 13 Jul 2011
Another Java and Bali itinerary! ... By silverteeth on 13 Jul 2011 4 4476 13 Jul 2011
Indonesia budget and itinerary for 20 days ... By helixusion on 18 Feb 2012 9 3856 21 Feb 2012
Budget and Itinerary for 65 days in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia ... By Floppy on 2 Oct 2012 0 1989 2 Oct 2012
java to bali at speed! ... By Animal_lover on 17 Jul 2013 5 1108 13 Aug 2013
Vaccinations for Java and Bali? ... By travelinchen on 15 Jul 2011 5 5962 25 Jul 2011
Jungles near Java/bali area? ... By mmcphee7117 on 13 Jul 2011 0 2149 13 Jul 2011
Suggestions please! 6 weeks Lombok - Bali - Java ... By Lettie2012 on 5 May 2013 10 2370 15 May 2013
Packing list for Java, Bali and Gili -- what do you think? ... By travelinchen on 20 Jul 2011 17 7951 23 Jul 2011
help neede, your opinion on itinerary ... By marie79 on 3 Jan 2010 2 1443 4 Jan 2010