Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Where to after UBud???

• backlash81

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2013

Guys looking for some advice, we are going to be in Bali for the first time this July, and going to be spending 5 days in UBud, any recommendations on where to go after, we have the Gillis all sourced and booked. Have been looking at Lovina / Semyinak and a few other places......we have about 5 days to go somewhere so what do people recommend???? Please bare in mind we will need to get to the Gillis and possibly may fly out to the Gillis....also is it a must to book acomm for those days as its high season???
    any info greatly appreciated

#1 Posted: 31/3/2013 - 12:07

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Without knowing anything about what sort of thing you are looking for, I'd probably suggest going to Amed , in the North East. I believe that you can get speedboats from Amed to Gili although it might be a bit pricey.

Alternatively, head inland to somewhere like Munduk or Bedugul.

Personally, I don't think much of Lovina. Lots of people, very average beach, and the sellers can get a bit aggressive. Amed has a much nicer feel about it.

#2 Posted: 31/3/2013 - 15:43

• backlash81

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2013

thanks Busylizzy, so Lovina is just average?? Of course forgot to mention that is will be two travelling ( a couple) and really just looking to take it easy, nothing to hectic, not looking really to go and party! ( getting old no), possibly with the option of doing some days trips from a certain location wether that be sightseeing / trekking / snorkelling etc.....

When you mention if maybe pricey getting from Amed to the Gillis?? how much are you talking?
    Also any recommendations of somewhere mid level place to stay in Amed??

Thanks
    Backlash

#3 Posted: 1/4/2013 - 05:39

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I just didn't link much of Lovina - have been through a few times, and each time, I'm left underwhelmed. Instead, I'd suggest Pemuteran (to the west) and Amed to the east. To me, Amed has a nicer feel about it.

I can't recall the price for the boat from Amed to Gili's, but it was small express boats that did the route (which generally means expensive). The only boat company name that I can recall is BlueWater Express, and according to their website, they leave from Padangbai rather than Amed (but that's better than leaving from the southern tip of Bali. http://www.bwsbali.com/blue-water-safaris/routes-and-rates/

Unless other posters jump in here, I'd suggest googling for other options. Never mind, I just did it for you :-). Try this: http://www.gili-sea-express.com/

#4 Posted: 2/4/2013 - 04:30

• larajohn

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2013

You can search it on internet then you get much better options and you can get all the details about them.

#5 Posted: 3/4/2013 - 06:44

• DSawyer

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

Well...I'll tell you this,make sure you do all you can around Ubud as there is plenty to do including a visit to near by Mas village and Goa Gajah .But if you are heading out of town take a trip through Klungkung to the village of Sidemon.here the price range goes up a bit for hotel,but it's got some really great "classic" rice terrace photo ops.From there you can go to Tirtagangga I stayed here for a night and had a great full day hike around the rice terraces.I'd also recommend going to Padang Bai after that and stay for a day or two...this port town has some cool coast line to explore,a few decent beaches and pretty good food...From there,it's an easy hop to the gilis

#6 Posted: 4/4/2013 - 17:45

• backlash81

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2013

Hi guys thanks for all the info above, I have been doing some reasearch and have found that getting from the Gillis is actually pretty straight forward from Amed and prices vary from $30 - 70 pp so will just really need to shop around once I am there on the ground.
    @ D Sawyer, cheers for this info....Mas Village and Goa Gajah....will check into all of that info.....

#7 Posted: 5/4/2013 - 05:31

• DSawyer

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

Also worth noting ...if you are shopping for gifts...head to sukawati morning market ...the difference in prices you'll pay here compared to Ubud make it worth the trip.Make sure you head there early for best deals.

#8 Posted: 5/4/2013 - 08:42

• DSawyer

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

Oh...and the Gili's get packed so booking ahead is advisable

#9 Posted: 5/4/2013 - 08:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.