Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Trekking on Rinca or Komodo - Which is better?

Posted by RJB2288 on 30/4/2013 at 09:01

Hi all -

I'm planning on doing a 2N/3D live aboard dive boat in the Komodo National Park (leaving from Laban Bajo) and wanted to spend a half day (or maybe even a full day) trekking on either Komodo or Rinca.

I read in Lonely Planet that Komodo is a lot less touristy and more wild than Rinca since most dive boats go to Rinca. But then I read somewhere else that Rinca is better. Can anyone tell me which island is better for a long trek (more than just an hour)? I know you see more Komodos on Rinca but I'd be okay with seeing less Komodos if it meant the scenery was more beautiful and it felt less touristy. Any suggestions?

Also - if anyone can recommend a good, safe live aboard from Labuan Bajo, that would be great too!

Thanks!

#1 RJB2288 has been a member since 3/2/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by Laszlo on 4/5/2013 at 15:04

I have found Komodo much more interesting in every respect.
It is more scenic, has more native wildlife and indeed fewer day-trippers.
Also, in Rinca on various visits I have only seen lizards hanging around the headquarters, I only managed to see one "truly in the wild" on Komodo.

#2 Laszlo has been a member since 30/1/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by busylizzy on 4/5/2013 at 16:44

We saw many komodos on Rinca, and well away from the head quarters. Further along the track, we saw 3-4 feasting on a water buffalo that had been taken down that morning. It was a pretty gruesome site - but fascinating all the same.

We definitely had our share of up-close Komodo sightings, so I guess it just all depends on'what's happening on the day that you are there.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 4/5/2013 at 16:48

Also - I didn't find too many people on Rinca with us at all. When we came across the feasting komodos we were the only ones there for a good half hour until we left. And we only passed a handful of people on the track over the 3+ hours that we where there. This was in Oct 2009 though so it was low seeason.

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.