Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Trekking on Rinca or Komodo - Which is better?

• RJB2288

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2013

Hi all -

I'm planning on doing a 2N/3D live aboard dive boat in the Komodo National Park (leaving from Laban Bajo) and wanted to spend a half day (or maybe even a full day) trekking on either Komodo or Rinca.

I read in Lonely Planet that Komodo is a lot less touristy and more wild than Rinca since most dive boats go to Rinca. But then I read somewhere else that Rinca is better. Can anyone tell me which island is better for a long trek (more than just an hour)? I know you see more Komodos on Rinca but I'd be okay with seeing less Komodos if it meant the scenery was more beautiful and it felt less touristy. Any suggestions?

Also - if anyone can recommend a good, safe live aboard from Labuan Bajo, that would be great too!

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/4/2013 - 09:01

• Advertisement

• Laszlo

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2013

I have found Komodo much more interesting in every respect.
    It is more scenic, has more native wildlife and indeed fewer day-trippers.
    Also, in Rinca on various visits I have only seen lizards hanging around the headquarters, I only managed to see one "truly in the wild" on Komodo.

#2 Posted: 4/5/2013 - 15:04

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

We saw many komodos on Rinca, and well away from the head quarters. Further along the track, we saw 3-4 feasting on a water buffalo that had been taken down that morning. It was a pretty gruesome site - but fascinating all the same.

We definitely had our share of up-close Komodo sightings, so I guess it just all depends on'what's happening on the day that you are there.

#3 Posted: 4/5/2013 - 16:44

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Also - I didn't find too many people on Rinca with us at all. When we came across the feasting komodos we were the only ones there for a good half hour until we left. And we only passed a handful of people on the track over the 3+ hours that we where there. This was in Oct 2009 though so it was low seeason.

#4 Posted: 4/5/2013 - 16:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.