Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

General tips needed!!

• california

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2013

Hi everyone! First of all thanks for reading my message!
    My husband and me (31 and 29 years old) are going to Indonesia this October. The total length of our trip is 21 days. We know for sure that we want to spend one week in Mentawais (we will probably stay at the Aloita surf resort). Besides that we don't have any specific place that we want to go. I've heard so many incredible things about Indonesia that is hard to pick places to visit/stay. So I'd love to get some suggestions from people that have been there many times and especially from people who live there. I don't really like to go to touristic places and I sure prefer to meet local people, and go to places where locals hang out. I'd love to see some temples, go to a local yoga studio... And overall learn more about the Indonesian culture. My husband surfs but I don't. We both love the beach lifestyle (we are Brazilians living in California). So we would love to stay close to the beach! Also, some nightlife tips are always welcome! Thanks so much!!!

#1 Posted: 18/6/2013 - 22:10

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

buy and read a guidebook-even an older one will still show the places of interest.In oct. its very much very low season, As long as you stay away from Bali you are most likely garanteed a whitey-free trip-certainly to those faraway isles. Its hard for USAers-and I think even harder for Brasileiro's-but you also will need to learn the -quite easy- basics of Bahasa to even be able to get onward.

#2 Posted: 22/6/2013 - 05:13

• mauigirl

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2013

I think the culture is incredible in Yogyakarta and Solo. You have art, dancing and music, as well as lot of great food on the street. Also, I'm sure that you will find some night life, since Yogya is a good size city now. Both of these places are on Java.

If you want a different side of Indonesia, I recommend going to Kalimantan. You can see the jungle nature in Kalimantan and amazing marine life on the islands off of the east coast of Kalimantan. Derawan Island is built up and while they don't really have night clubs, they do have karaoke. This island has some guesthouses on the jetty out into the water.

Maratua Island is a 1 1/2 speed boat ride from the Kalimantan mainland and it is totally magical. The marine life is beautiful and you probably won't see many places like this in the world anymore. They have 2 expensive resorts on the island and there is a new guesthouse, Maratua Guesthouse opening in August, 2013, so you have choices of where to stay.

I personally think that Bali is still wonderful, although it's very touristy. It's a scene, but the culture of Bali shines through despite the throngs of tourists that have discovered every little village on Bali. Best of luck with planning your trip!

#3 Posted: 28/6/2013 - 02:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Burma in October, general tips ... By heddenswest on 21 Jul 2011 10 3635 6 Aug 2011
3,5 Weeks Malaysia 22.07. - 19.08, need Tips for Itinerary and general questions ... By nochnbier on 20 Jun 2011 8 5057 14 Jul 2011