Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Karimunjawa

• JohnMcClane

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2013

Hello!

I have been reading up on Travelfish for the past few months while planning my trip through SEA. Thought it was about time I became a member so i could ask you lovely people some questions!

First stop on the trip will be Indonesia. Will be flying into Jakarta on 12th Sept and, as they are fairly inexpensive, plan to fly to direct to Semarang. Plan on spending 4-6 days on the Karimunjawa islands, then two weeks around east Java, then spend the last week or 10 days of the visa in Bali.

I have found a few Indonesian tour operators online that offer a package for traveling to the islands for 4 days or so. This package includes transport there, accommodation, food, boat hire round the islands, beach BBQ and guide etc. These packages are costing around 1,000,000IDR depending on accommodation.

Has anyone visited the islands with one of these packages and are they good value? Would I be better booking one of these packages to save the trouble of trying to organise things when there or should i do it independantly? I read somewhere that the boats from Jepara are sometimes fully booked in high season. Will i need to book a seat before I arrive?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 20/6/2013 - 17:27

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

to start with the last Q: when do USAers-or any newbee www-users of late- finally get to grasp reality? This is NOT high season at all, NOR high-peak times. Chances most boats are cancelled as no demand is far higher.If such a package would be good value you only know afterward. You will also on the way realise there will be lots of hidden requests for more baksheesh or tips or ''uncovered'' cost. This is Indo-welcome to the reality of life!
    In fact Ive never met any lowbudgetbekpekker doing such tours, nor in fact anyone would has visited those isles-after 20+ years and at least 6 extensive trips all over Indo. Which most likely means you are in for a full ''domestik turis only'' trip.

#2 Posted: 22/6/2013 - 05:11

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Travelfish has a guide to these islands which might be helpful if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.travelfish.org/location/indonesia/java/central_java/karimunjawa_islands

I haven't been there but 1,000,000 Rp for 4 days seems reasonable to me if you compare it to the prices mentioned in the above guide. Depends on where exactly they're putting you up and whether it's for 3 nights accommodation or 4.

It shouldn't be too busy. Like captainbkk said, it'll likely be mostly local tourists there, not foreigners. If so, the busy times will be weekends and local holidays. You'll miss the big holiday at the end of Ramadan (Idul Fitri) which is in August this year, Independance Day (also August) and Idul Adha which isn't until mid October.

#3 Posted: 23/6/2013 - 02:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.