• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Doesn't matter if you can't read French, just watch the video... CCTV footage during today's 6.1 earthquake in Aceh.

http://www.maxisciences.com/s%E9isme/un-seisme-de-magnitude-6-1-fait-22-morts-et-210-blesses-en-indonesie_art30034.html

#1 Posted: 3/7/2013 - 04:59

• Advertisement

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Oops sorry, I see there's a small typo in the title .... What it's like to be in an earthquake!

#2 Posted: 3/7/2013 - 06:08

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I know earthquakes are not a funny thing, but I burst out laughing when the barman flees, leaving the guy waiting to pay for his drink.

#3 Posted: 3/7/2013 - 06:25

• LukeMackin

Click here to learn more about LukeMackin
    Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2013
    Location Indonesia

This didn't look at all like rural Aceh to me (especially the white bartender!), so after just a tiny bit of searching, I've found that it's actually footage from Chile and Haiti: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdxnGEfLbvc

#4 Posted: 4/7/2013 - 01:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Luke - was just about to post the same link!

Thanks again for pointing it out.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 4/7/2013 - 03:12

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Well spotted Luke. Me bad! Sorry I didn't check where the video came from and the French text is all about the quake in Aceh (no mention of Chile or Haiti) so I'd just assumed the footage was taken during the Aceh quake. Aha...so THAT'S why I couldn't find the same amazing footage on any English news sites covering this story!

I have actually been to Banda Aceh but it was in 2005 when the town was still mostly just a huge expanse of flattened rubble. I haven't seen what it looks like now. Must admit I was rather surprised there were so many CCTV cameras and that the media had got hold of the footage so fast. I'd assumed that Somtam's barman was a hotel desk clerk with a bemused guest trying to pay his bill. But he could be right and there aren't many bars in Aceh!

Feel free to delete this thread if you want Somtam!

#6 Posted: 4/7/2013 - 05:02

• LukeMackin

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2013
    Location Indonesia

I think I would have been less skeptical if the earthquake had affected Banda Aceh more, rather than rural, central Aceh. I knew it wasn't shaking like that in Banda Aceh. Images (and people) definitely didn't look like they were coming from any small Sumatran village that I'd ever seen!

#7 Posted: 4/7/2013 - 05:22

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

I am now very intrigued about what it would be like to actually be an earthquake. Wonder if it's anything like the wrestling guy from the WWF back in the 80s/90s?

#8 Posted: 7/7/2013 - 10:59

• LukeMackin

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2013
    Location Indonesia

It's confusing at first, especially if you've never been in one before. It's loud, with everything shaking (especially the corrugated tin roofs if you're in SEAsia), and it's a bit terrifying. I think depends on type and distance from epicenter as far as the feeling. Massive one I felt in the Philippines with epicenter a few hours away felt like rolling waves that lasted a long time. The ones I've felt in Sumatra have been more abrupt shaking and rattling. Either way, hopefully it's over fast with no damage, and you have this bit of a crazy high from all the adrenaline pumping through your body and thankfulness that it wasn't a dangerous one. There's some worry, hoping that what you were feeling wasn't just the remnants of a massive one some distance away. And you stay paranoid for a while, hoping that a bigger one isn't on its way. That's my experience in the ones I've felt, anyway. Never been in one that damaged my immediate area though - imagine all those feelings multiplied by 1000.

#9 Posted: 7/7/2013 - 20:40

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We had a badish one in Bali a coupla years ago -- had books flying off bookcases and so on -- Carrefoure scored a bunch of structural damage and so on - luckily nobody killed.

Nevertheless, was very scary, what freaked me out the most was a deep groaning kinda of sound the house made along with neighbours screaming their heads off to get outside etc. Heartstopping.

#10 Posted: 8/7/2013 - 19:13

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.