Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

What it's like to be an earthquake

Posted by SBE on 3/7/2013 at 04:59

Doesn't matter if you can't read French, just watch the video... CCTV footage during today's 6.1 earthquake in Aceh.

http://www.maxisciences.com/s%E9isme/un-seisme-de-magnitude-6-1-fait-22-morts-et-210-blesses-en-indonesie_art30034.html

#1 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by SBE on 3/7/2013 at 06:08

Oops sorry, I see there's a small typo in the title .... What it's like to be in an earthquake!

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/7/2013 at 06:25 admin

I know earthquakes are not a funny thing, but I burst out laughing when the barman flees, leaving the guy waiting to pay for his drink.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by LukeMackin on 4/7/2013 at 01:54

This didn't look at all like rural Aceh to me (especially the white bartender!), so after just a tiny bit of searching, I've found that it's actually footage from Chile and Haiti: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdxnGEfLbvc

#4 LukeMackin has been a member since 4/7/2013. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 6
 Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr  

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/7/2013 at 03:12 admin

Hi Luke - was just about to post the same link!

Thanks again for pointing it out.

Cheers

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SBE on 4/7/2013 at 05:02

Well spotted Luke. Me bad! Sorry I didn't check where the video came from and the French text is all about the quake in Aceh (no mention of Chile or Haiti) so I'd just assumed the footage was taken during the Aceh quake. Aha...so THAT'S why I couldn't find the same amazing footage on any English news sites covering this story!

I have actually been to Banda Aceh but it was in 2005 when the town was still mostly just a huge expanse of flattened rubble. I haven't seen what it looks like now. Must admit I was rather surprised there were so many CCTV cameras and that the media had got hold of the footage so fast. I'd assumed that Somtam's barman was a hotel desk clerk with a bemused guest trying to pay his bill. But he could be right and there aren't many bars in Aceh!

Feel free to delete this thread if you want Somtam!

#6 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by LukeMackin on 4/7/2013 at 05:22

I think I would have been less skeptical if the earthquake had affected Banda Aceh more, rather than rural, central Aceh. I knew it wasn't shaking like that in Banda Aceh. Images (and people) definitely didn't look like they were coming from any small Sumatran village that I'd ever seen!

#7 LukeMackin has been a member since 4/7/2013. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 6

Posted by 9preciousGems on 7/7/2013 at 10:59

I am now very intrigued about what it would be like to actually be an earthquake. Wonder if it's anything like the wrestling guy from the WWF back in the 80s/90s?

#8 9preciousGems has been a member since 13/1/2011. Posts: 82

Posted by LukeMackin on 7/7/2013 at 20:40

It's confusing at first, especially if you've never been in one before. It's loud, with everything shaking (especially the corrugated tin roofs if you're in SEAsia), and it's a bit terrifying. I think depends on type and distance from epicenter as far as the feeling. Massive one I felt in the Philippines with epicenter a few hours away felt like rolling waves that lasted a long time. The ones I've felt in Sumatra have been more abrupt shaking and rattling. Either way, hopefully it's over fast with no damage, and you have this bit of a crazy high from all the adrenaline pumping through your body and thankfulness that it wasn't a dangerous one. There's some worry, hoping that what you were feeling wasn't just the remnants of a massive one some distance away. And you stay paranoid for a while, hoping that a bigger one isn't on its way. That's my experience in the ones I've felt, anyway. Never been in one that damaged my immediate area though - imagine all those feelings multiplied by 1000.

#9 LukeMackin has been a member since 4/7/2013. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/7/2013 at 19:13 admin

We had a badish one in Bali a coupla years ago -- had books flying off bookcases and so on -- Carrefoure scored a bunch of structural damage and so on - luckily nobody killed.

Nevertheless, was very scary, what freaked me out the most was a deep groaning kinda of sound the house made along with neighbours screaming their heads off to get outside etc. Heartstopping.

#10 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.