Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Touts on Bali - How does it compare to other SEA destinations?

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

We're thinking of visiting Bali next year and wanted to know from recent visitors how bad the touts are in different places on the island. I haven't been since 1999, but remember the touts being particularly thick and persistent at Kuta Beach and to a lesser extent along the main roads in Ubud.

How is it now? Are they still a pain? How do they compare to other places in southeast Asia? Thanks and regards.

#1 Posted: 23/7/2013 - 11:08

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I was only there for 10 days and didn't see all that much of the island, but in the places I did go (mostly Seminyak and Ubud), I didn't find touts to be very pushy at all. Not as bad as touristy parts of Bangkok and certainly nowhere near as bad as parts of Vietnam or Cambodia. Again, I may have just missed the places where they're bad, but I must say I felt that those locals I came into contact with were quite lovely on the whole.

#2 Posted: 24/7/2013 - 00:38

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Thanks, D!

#3 Posted: 24/7/2013 - 21:56

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Based on my experience in Sanur, Ubud and north Bali - a 'no thanks' tends to go a long way. I find - in general - that the touts in Vietnam and Thailand to be more aggressive.

#4 Posted: 25/7/2013 - 01:27

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

since some 10 yrs or so the authorities have clamped down on them vigorously-but of course they still are, but thus keep low profile. i am fluent in bahasa, so I can adress them in that language-balinese of course also has its own language, but most are not from the island. Just be friendly, tlak with them and they can give mountains of info and become good friends and accept they wont earn 1 rupiah from you.The worst I found them in Vnam and China-stubborn and not listening , have not been to Camb recently.

#5 Posted: 25/7/2013 - 05:43

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

terima kasih guys. as i mentioned, i hadn't been there for quite some time, and back then a friendly "no thanks" typically didn't go very far at all. there were a few times i actually had to get up and move on the beach when they wouldn't leave me alone. glad to hear that the situation is much improved. also, agreed that it is always a good idea to be friendly. cheers.

#6 Posted: 25/7/2013 - 08:55

• afron

Click here to learn more about afron
    Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2013
    Location Austria

Particularly bad in Bali.

#7 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 21:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.