Indonesia forum

Indonesia to Australia by boat

• afarewell2b-
    arms

Click here to learn more about afarewell2barms
    Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Yes I know it's a common question - I've read all I can find. This post is not so much asking whether or not it's possible (I know it is with a bit of luck) I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any boats leaving anytime soon - obviously any other general constructive suggestions are welcome.

Me and my GF are doing the old UK to Oz overland trip. We're currently in Thailand and are heading South towards Indonesia with the idea that that's the best place to hitch a ride on private vessel. I'm well aware that it's unlikely we'll be able to do it, and that there is a huge amount of luck involved - but we're going to try our utmost....

We're willing to graft for our passage, and we're also willing to pay. Or a combination of working and paying.

Please note: I know about the freighter from Singapore - it's too expensive... I know that pretty much our only hope is likely to be as crew or passenger on a private vessel from somewhere like Bali or TImor... And yes, I've registered on findacrew....

Also, please don't comment if it's just to say: "fly, its cheaper, safer, etc" - not helpful

Cheers in advance if you take the time to read/reply,

#1 Posted: 20/8/2013 - 02:56

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Not an answer to your question, but I received an email from you asking me to deactivate your account, then this post popped up, so I'm assuming the deactivate thing was in error. If not let me know and I'll nuke it again.

We live in Bali, see very very few yachts coming up from Oz -- I'd guess Timor would be a better bet, but that is a guess. In Bali obviously head down to Benoa harbour first thing to see if you're lucky.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 20/8/2013 - 04:06

• afarewell2b-
    arms

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Cheers for the reply - good to here from someone living there.

About the account, I accidentally created 2, as I thought there was a problem when I couldnt log into the first. Not sure what happend - I've been on some frustratingly slow connections.

Anyway, I created account afarewelltobarm, then afarewell2barms. As this is the afarewell2barms account, you can delete the other one.

Sorry for the mix up

Cheers

#3 Posted: 27/8/2013 - 23:51

• afron

Click here to learn more about afron
    Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2013
    Location Austria

Hi afarewell...,

Did you get my reply on Thorn Tree about the French traveller I met who got a free ride on a Sail Komodo boat from Darwin to a Alor? He had found it on a forum.

#4 Posted: 29/8/2013 - 21:21

• afarewell2b-
    arms

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Afron

I've just had a look and found it now... thanks a lot for that info, much appreciated, I'll give it a whirl. Lets hope we get lucky...

#5 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 06:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Australia to Bali by boat ... By thaidi007 on 3 Jul 2014 2 271 20 Jul 2014