Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

4 weeks in Asia - where to go in Indonesia and the Philippines

• nikneja

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2013

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip around the world and as part of it we are planning on spending 4 weeks in Asia. We are hoping to go to the Philippines, Borneo and Indonesia. Has anyone got any tips or ideas on where to go? We will be there November/December time. We love the outdoors, trekking, nature, the sea, diving and snorkelling.

Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 22/8/2013 - 20:26

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Lombok & Gili's are a highlight for snorkelling and nice volcano to climb. Also, Yogyakarta is a great for cultural attractions with some possible day trips for trekking as well.

#2 Posted: 23/8/2013 - 01:51

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

If you like diving and snorkelling, head to Manado, in northern Sulawesi. Go to Bunaken Island. Around Manado there are also interesting volcanoes to climb, lakes to trek, tarsiers. We really enjoyed it

#3 Posted: 23/8/2013 - 02:11

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Four weeks ain't much for all this, given that they are all large land masses and many islands scattered about.

I have no advice on the places as I have never been but I'm guessing you'd want to factor in a lot of travel time for moving around.

Alternatively, four weeks would be perfect for just Vietnam (I know you didn't ask this).

Best of luck.

#4 Posted: 23/8/2013 - 10:48

• nikneja

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2013

Thanks for all of the advice, will check out all the places you have mentioned.

I have already been to Vietnam so wanted to go somewhere different.

So hard trying to decide what to do when there are so many incredible places to go to!

Anyone been to Raja Ampat?

#5 Posted: 23/8/2013 - 13:41

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I have. I was there a couple of years ago, but didn't stay in any of the posh resorts or do any diving because I'm not seriously rich enough! I stayed in very basic guesthouses (guest huts would be a better description because they didn't have proper doors or luxuries like fans and some didn't even have beds). Food wasn't at all good and I got severe food poisoning at one place. There were rats running about the room at night too if that's an issue for you and most of the places have outside mandis which are sometimes quite a distance away. No electricity at night of course, so don't forget to bring a torch. As a backpacker on a budget I found it impossible to island hop as much as I'd have liked because of the extortionate prices for boats. Compared to other parts of Indonesia I found it ridiculously overpriced and to be quite honest I thought the locals there were far too greedy. I don't mind very basic accommodation and minimal comfort levels and I'm more than happy that my money goes to improving the lives of locals rather than western resort owners but I won't be going back unless I hear that the attitudes of the homestay owners has changed. The sea there is thick with fish but all too often it was, Sorry no fish today! Sometimes it was, sorry no vegetables or bananas today either. They seemed to think westerners would pay whatever they asked, without providing anything in return. They seemed to think it was OK to charge $50 a night for full board when their only financial outlay was a packet of instant noodles. At the first place I stayed on Mansuar I heard that the owner of my resort had been charging his guests $20 a day to go snorkeling (with their own equipment) in front of his place the previous season. He doesn't own the sea and the guests were already paying him to be there. On Gam Island you get charged 150,000Rp to walk a few hundred meters along a path to try and catch a glimpse of a red bird of paradise. If you don't catch a glimpse and want to try again in the afternoon that'll be another 150,000Rp please. And they expect you to hire a "guide" to walk along the path with you as well...another 100,000Rp for his time. The general attitude I saw everywhere was that tourists would fork out ridiculous amounts of money for things that didn't cost them anything and they didn't seem to grasp that tourists paying $50/night actually expect something in return ... like semi decent food and maybe a chair to sit on. I love snorkeling and Raja Ampat had been top of my list of places to see before I died but I voted with my feet and only stayed a couple of weeks there rather than the month I'd originally intended.

This site has more info about places to stay and some useful general info about Raja Ampat if my little rant didn't put you off too much. I notice there are now way more homestays than when I was there. Maybe the extra competition has forced the local owners to lower the ludicrous prices and/or improve their services.

http://www.stayrajaampat.com/raja-ampat-homestays

If money is no object then the best way to see and dive Raja Ampat is probably on a liveaboard though there are some upmarket resorts too. If Raja Ampat sounds way over your budget then the Banda islands have excellent snorkeling and diving too and are much cheaper alternative though they are a little more complicated and time consuming to get to (and leave).

Is there any particular reason why you want to visit Indonesia AND the Philippines AND Borneo? Sounds rather like you pulled the names out of a hat and don't really know much about them. One month really isn't much time to see Indonesia, never mind the Philippines and Borneo as well.

#6 Posted: 23/8/2013 - 19:25

• nikneja

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2013

Thanks for the detailed reply. We will be backpacking not staying in any upmarket places and defo can't afford a liveaboard!
    I will investigate the Banda islands.
    I have already travelled to Vietnam, Loas, Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia so we wanted to go somewhere new and my boyfriend has always wanted to go to Indonesia and the Philippines and I have always wanted to go to Borneo. We haven't chosen at random! You are right in that we don't know much about them which is why we are looking for any advice.. Sounds like you might have some better ideas of what we could realistically fit into 4 weeks?! Any ideas would be great - thanks

#7 Posted: 23/8/2013 - 19:44

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

It depends what you want to see in when you dive. Palawan has some wreck diving, if that is what you want.

I'm hearing good things about Padre Burgos in Leyte.

#8 Posted: 24/8/2013 - 01:37

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

It depends what you want to see in when you dive. Palawan has some wreck diving, if that is what you want.

I'm hearing good things about Padre Burgos in Leyte.

#9 Posted: 24/8/2013 - 01:37

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I think it'll be rainy season in all the places on your wish list but some places will be wetter than others. Maybe use the weather to make a short list? I've heard Padre Bagos is good too but I think November-January is the wettest time of year there. Maybe here are other places in the Philippines that will be a bit drier. I don't know the Philippines very well but Coron (has wreck diving) had lovely weather when I was there in early February a few years ago, no rain at all ... I don't know what it's like in November/December. Have never been to Borneo at all but I think Sabah is a bit drier than Sarawak.

According to LP the Bandas have a different climate from the rest of Indonesia but I've never seen any evidence this is true and non of the locals think December-January is dry season either. I think it might be because the nearest weather station is in Ambon which is quite a long way away and I've noticed that the weather in Ambon is often quite different from the weather in Bandaneira. The Bandas might still be OK in November (rainy season usually doesn't really get going till late November/early December in Indo) but it's still a time consuming destination to get to so I'm not sure it's really really suitable if you want to see loads of different places in a month. The main Pelni ferry goes there once a fortnight from Ambon and there's a slower ferry once a month. I heard the other day that Merpati has started flights again but you shouldn't rely on them too much. Only very small planes (20 seats, 10kg baggage allowance) can land on Banda so they're usually fully booked and flights very frequently get cancelled because of weather or technical problems. If you have to get off Bandaneira by a certain date make sure there's a ferry leaving too.

Bali, the Gilis or Bunaken are much easier to get to and they all have some diving or snorkeling. Maybe Komodo would be OK in November too. It's not so much the rain as rough seas that are a problem in wet season. Dive boats can't go out and smaller local ferries get cancelled when the waves are too big. And boats sometimes sink too.

#10 Posted: 24/8/2013 - 17:12

• Advertisement

• afron

Click here to learn more about afron
    Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2013
    Location Austria

Hi nikneja,

Check out the islands of Alor and Pantar:

http://hirang.webs.com/apps/photos/

The diving there is world-class. Island-hoping from Flores to West Timor via Adonara, Lembata, Pantar and Alor is travelling at its best!

#11 Posted: 24/8/2013 - 22:12

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

as seems usual with these Qs-the more info there comes in the end, the better suited the replies.All places are certainly worth a trip. But 3 in 4weeks simply cannot be done. Also be aware that connections between these are very, very sparse to non-existent and not in any RTW-flightplan. Just first look how airasia flies and decide on that. Based on your allowed stop in that RTW-likely either BKK or SIN.
    Indo in itself offers more as 4weeks can cover, and it also has the largest, but mostly uninteresting part of Borneo, they call it Kalimantan. If its merely just diving-then for me its the same like beaches-they look all the same, its just sand between your toes, so why even bother to make ardent difficult trips to go from place 1 to 2? Plus that locals hardly dive-you'll mainly meet western dive-afficionado's.

#12 Posted: 25/8/2013 - 06:41

• jackwilliam-

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2013

islands of Alor and Pantar,

#13 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 09:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
7 weeks through Burma, malaysia, thailand, laos, indonesia and the philippines, is it doable?? ... By ciera89 on 17 Jul 2013 30 3541 26 Jul 2013
6-8 weeks in South East Asia - Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand ... By mjbeavis on 13 Sep 2010 7 7483 25 Mar 2013
Philippines or Indonesia? ... By Jacster on 2 Aug 2009 20 9784 7 Apr 2010
Indonesia/Philippines/Burma? June-August 2014 28y/o f ... By cosmia on 11 Feb 2014 3 747 1 Mar 2014