Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

In Bali with four kids plans have gone awol any helpful suggestions

• luti767

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013

We are in Bali with our four children aged 7 to 12. This is a big trip for us as you can imagine. We planned to start in Bali but spending quite a bit of time travelling across from Gili Islands to Lombok, Sumbawa and Komodo National Park. We had hoped to go to Salawesi but was going to see how far our budget stretched. Today we climbed aboard a fast boat to Gili and the boat met with an accident. The kids got a huge fright and I ended up in hospital. We all survived but none of us want to hop on another boat anytime soon. We have 7 weeks in Indonesia and would like to move away from the crowds, any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

#1 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 09:13

• Advertisement

• 8feet4ward

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 2

We are a family of 4 (kids 8 and 10) and we are currently staying in Penestanan, above Ubud. It would be a great place to recover-quiet, lots of walking, cheap houses if you stay a while. So sorry that happened, it sounds scary. We will take the slow boat to Gili Air! If your health insurance covers counseling give us a shout, my husband is very good. It would be really great to meet another family.

Good luck, Alison

#2 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 19:05

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry to hear about the accident --was it a fire or a collision? Those boats really need to be sorted out -- another Travelfish member was hospitalised a few weeks ago after an explosion on one of them...

To your question: Good tip there from 8feet4ward - Penestanan is a nice area on the outer edge of Ubud. If you want to spend all 7 weeks in Bali, I'd suggest adding Amed and Sidemen and perhaps Pemuteran in the far west (for snorkelling at Menjangan Island). Another sleepy option is Munduk (good waterfalls and walking).

For more ideas, check out the Bali for kids section of the Indonesia wire -- our kids are a bit younger than yours, but there still might be some suitable ideas.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

#3 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 20:07

• luti767

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013

Thankyou for your both for your replies. Somtam I will be sure to look at your links today. We are heading to Jemeluk today since we are in the Amed area. We would love to travel onto Ubud after that, we were looking at a house outside Ubud I wonder if it is in the area 8feet 4forward talked about. I think we really do need to relax the children are still very scared as are we all. It would be lovely to meet up if you are still in the area.
    We may look into the slow boat option once we are feeling a little less shaken, also we will price up a flight to Salawesi. If our budget does not stretch then all the other suggestions above will come in very handy.

Thankyou for your supportive suggestions.

#4 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 20:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel Plans for Oct - Suggestions Please?? ... By MichBee on 14 Aug 2009 6 2070 26 Aug 2009