Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

joining it all up

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

after much research we have decided to go to Java (2 weeks), Bali (2 weeks), Sulawesi (1 week), Flores (1 week) can anyone suggest in which order? I think Bali is close to Sulawesi and Flores - how would we get to each and where would Java come into it? Maybe a quick trip to Lombok? or Gilli - we will get a 60 day visa - would appreciate any suggestions re the order and whether to fly or boat.
    thank you

#1 Posted: 7/10/2013 - 11:22

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

My suggestion would be to fly into Jakarta and work your way across Java over two weeks and a quick hop over to your stay on Bali. I've never been to Sulawesi, but I'm not sure how meaningful a week would be there, you could instead put that time into traveling over to Flores via Gilis and/or Lombok. That you can do via boat and save yourself the flight . . .

. . . from your final spot in Flores I'd suggest getting a flight back to Jakarta so that you can just book a round-trip international in and out to save some cost.

#2 Posted: 7/10/2013 - 23:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

My first question would be what time of the year are you planning on doing this trip?

I agree with Caseyprich that a week in Sulawesi won't go very far -- we recently spent six weeks there and covered a lot less than we planned.

That said, a simple route would be:

Fly into Jakarta, overland for two weeks to reach Bali (here's a sample 1 week itinerary for Java - 2 weeks would be far more comfortable)

Two weeks in Bali then fly to Makassar, with a week I'd say the most you could comfortably fit in (without flying) would be something like Rantepao and Bira (via Sangkeng for the overnight) and back to Makassar -- but this is a lot to cram into a week there.

From Makassar you could either get a ferry to Labuan Bajo on Flores but the service is infrequent (we were told weekly in Makassar, but according to the Pelni website it is more like monthly!) or you'll then need to fly back to Bali and get a connecting flight to Labuan Bajo for Flores.

My inclination would be to drop Sulawesi and after your two weeks in Bali, get a flight to Labuan Bajo and spend two weeks exploring Flores & Komodo. If you decide to stick with Sulawesi as well, I'd pare back your time in Java a bit and give a few more days to Sulawesi as getting around there really take s a bit of time.

#3 Posted: 7/10/2013 - 23:42

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

ok, thank you both - lots to think about - I didnt realise Sulawesi was so tricky.

#4 Posted: 8/10/2013 - 12:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well not tricky, but rather time consuming to travel. Sample times are:
    Makassar to Bira in the south is 6-8 hours,
    Bira to Rantepao (for Tana Toraja) most of two days (overnight at Sengkang)
    Rantepao to Ampana (for the Togean Islands) 20+ hours,
    Rantepao to Makassar a mere 8 hours!

So if you're trying to cover a lot in a short time you'll be on the move for much of the time.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 8/10/2013 - 17:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.