Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Protests re: Australians

• Jade78

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2013

Hi everyone,

I am heading from Australia to Bali in two days. I am a female who is planning to travel around Bali, perhaps Lombok and also Java. I understand there are protests in Jakarta regarding the 'Spying Scandal' of the Australian Government on the Indonesia government. I am becoming slightly nervous about my visit and am worried it will put me in danger or change the way in which locals interact with/perceive me. Perhaps I am being extra-cautious however it would be great to her if there opinion, especially those living in relevant areas.

Jade

#1 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 17:04

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Jade,

It looks like there were demonstrations today at your embassy in Jakarta, but overall your Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is just recommending using a high degree of caution while travelling in Indonesia, mostly from non-specific and unrelated terrorist threats. You can read the details here:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Indonesia

#2 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 20:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Tell everyone you're American.

#3 Posted: 23/11/2013 - 00:20

• Jade78

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2013

I did check out SmartTraveller. I guess I was hoping for people living in these areas by thank you for your reply

MADMAC, given the context I do not know whether you are being humorous or serious?

#4 Posted: 23/11/2013 - 16:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Seriously, nobody is going to really give a **** where you're from. They ask as a way to make conversation. Stay away from Islamic psychos and you'll be fine.

#5 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 00:28

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The Balinese will be more interested in your money than what is going on in Jakarta ! Bali is crawling with Aussies at the moment (I'm here now). Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it.

I highly doubt that it will be an issue in Jakarta either. I wouldn't let it stop me. Tell them you're from NZ (not an American!).

#6 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 04:52

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The Balinese don't particularly like the Javanese - and they abhor anything the latter do to harm tourism.
    The Balinese want your money - go.

#7 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 00:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.