Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Price difference

• Infinity

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2013

My gf and I are travelling from melbourne. We are debating between kuta and sanur. I have heard in terms value for money and general costs that in kuta you tend to pay more western prices and things overall tend to cost a fair amount more compared to sanur.

I would people's appreciate people's feedback on wethers costs of things in kuta is more "expensive" compared to sanur

#1 Posted: 6/12/2013 - 06:28

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

You probably got this from some OZzie who still has to discover to never pay first prisce asked?
    Its nonsense. In Kuta are many, many more low-budget options, which Snr lacks. So there is much more choice in the next 10 mtrs-both in quality, price etc. The very same thing can sell for 1, 10 or 10.000- its up to you to use the brains-or to develop them- toget the better bargain. Snr also lacks public transport, though most are not intrested at all in even using it. However, any plus has its neg, and that are the pest of Ozzie sheila's with big mouthes and acres of exposed skin without the slightest hint that some adjustment might be needed in their ways of doing.

#2 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 02:00

• afron

Click here to learn more about afron
    Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2013
    Location Austria

In Bali, you'll get milked everywhere.

#3 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 02:19

• afron

Click here to learn more about afron
    Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2013
    Location Austria

Mods, how come there is this advertisement between reply 1 and 2?

#4 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 02:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you're after the cheapest room possible, go to Kuta - but that's the only reason I can think of for visiting there. - Aside from that they are both tourist districts with plenty of foreigner focused eateries with higher prices but there are plenty of local options for eating in both. I wouldn't agree with the comment that you get milked everywhere in Bali.

@afron - that's a normal ad placement.

#5 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 17:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Infinity,

Hopefully cost is not the most important factor for you. If that is the case, most of the people I've asked recommend avoiding Kuta, saying it is a tourist ghetto filled with drunk westerners. Now, I'm not against tourist ghettos filled with drunk westerners. They can be loads of fun. But since you can do that back home or anywhere else, I think you'll be much happier visiting other parts of the island.

I haven't visited Bali for many years. I remember Kuta was fine, but not great, and by far my least favorite location in Indonesia. Particularly the touts were intrusive and aggressive. Try somewhere other than Kuta and I think you'll be happier. Cheers.

#6 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 20:53

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Stone the crows tendsetters - what's wrong with Kuta?
    As somtan suggests, there is plenty of good value accommodation. But there's more. The beach aint the palm-backed white sand beauty with naked hippy chicks running around I first saw as a surfer-grom in the 70s, but for an Aussie, there is still good surf (most of Sanur is protected by a reef and only very experienced surfers should venture to the outer reef breaks) and the people-watching is great. I love to grab a beer from one of the local guys in back of beach under the trees, take the offered plastic chair and watch the scene - learn to surf classes trying to reach Kelly Slater standard in one lesson (hur hur hur - in 9 months of surfing all day I got to about 30% of Kelly's standard and didn't get any better. Most of us don't). Backpacker babes tuning local Kuta Cowboy dudes and vice versa. Holidaying families getting creamed in the shore-break. Hot Ruskie bikini babes tuning their middle-aged oligarch "partners".
    Get away from the beach and the shopping, eats, nightlife etc can't be matched elsewhere on the island.

Not that I'm knocking Sanur. I'm a real fan. It has developed a hell of a lot since the good ol' days and has become a sort of quieter, more civilised Kuta. No shortage of accommodation, shopping and places to kick up your heals.

So my suggestion - why not split your time between Kuta and Sanur? I suppose it depends on how many days you have, but if you can allocate 4 for each you should enjoy both.
    I'm not suggesting anything I wouldn't do myself. I've just finished booking a trip later in the year. This is what I've organised.
    Kuta - 1 night off the aircraft
    Medewi (surf location mid west coast) - 3 nights
    Munduk (mountain/rice fields location - central) - 2 nights
    Lake Bratan (volcanic caldera lake - central) - 2 nights
    Sanur - 2 nights
    Benoa (southern beach area) - 3 nights
    Jimbarin (southern beach area) - 3 nights
    Kuta - 2 nights
    Okay, all the long-time dudes are saying: "slow down baby and drink in the scene" but the fact is as a long- time visitor I know the scene, want to revisit some and see others I haven't previously.
    First time visitors don't necesssarily want to do that - but 2 places aint over the top.

As for price differences - I've never found much difference between Kuta and Sanur. If you are looking for rock-bottom accommodation and eats, Kuta probably does it. But average-wise, pretty similar.

#7 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 00:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.