Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Gili islands for about a month from the beginning of march?

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hi all,

I'm looking to get away for some quiet, peaceful island-time and at the moment the Gili islands (Air or Meno) seems to be pretty good options. One important reason being that they seem quite easy to reach (the idea would be AirAsia from KL-Lombok).

But haven't been to Indonesia before i have couple of questions;

What would the weather be like from around the beginning of March and say 4-5 weeks onwards? (from what i read the rainy season should end around mid March)?

Also, Is this period considered low-season, is it fair to expect it to be reasonable uncrowded?

Any input is much appreciated!

Oh, and if anyone have suggestions of another island that wouldn't be to hard to get to, and manageable on a backpacker budget, please post!

#1 Posted: 3/2/2014 - 22:49

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I'm afraid I can't help with the weather question, but I'm fairly sure high season on Bali, Lombok, and the Gilis is July and August and the New Year's Holidays. We plan to visit Gili Air for just under a week in late June, and I'd love to hear how you liked your time there. With a month, I'd definitely split my time between the different islands and spend some time on Lombok as well. Sounds like a nice stretch. Have fun. Cheers.

p.s. it looks like the Lombok airport is one of the places you can get a visa on arrival. it is US $25 for 30 days. you can read more about it here: http://www.embassyofindonesia.org/consular/voa.htm

#2 Posted: 4/2/2014 - 18:36

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

Thanks much for the reply,

So it sounds like March/April should be low-season then. Any idea if that means it should be fairly uncrowded?

#3 Posted: 6/2/2014 - 03:13

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi there March on the Gilis wont be overcrowded. We have stayed on Trawangan in early June in 2011 and went back for 10 days in June 2013 we enjoyed ourselves so much. Even in June which is meant to be busy we stay more towards the north of the main beach and the nights are very lowkey. So if you plan on Meno and Air these two are generally less busy than Gili T. With 4 to 5 weeks so should definitely have a look down at Kuta Beach right down the south of Lombok. Spent about 7 days there in 2011 and enjoyed the lowkey rustic feel of the place. Any questions ask away.

cheers

swag

#4 Posted: 7/2/2014 - 23:12

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I was on Gili Air and Trawangan in early December and I was surprised about the relative lack of crowds. March would be even less crowded. I was staying at the northern end of Gili T where it was very quiet - which suited me just fine. But even the central area seemed quieter than I expected.

If you wanted to break it up further, you could consider spending some time on Nusa Lembongan (about an hour away from Bali). It's pretty easy to get to from Gili T and A - speed boats stop there on their way to/from Bali.

#5 Posted: 8/2/2014 - 06:20

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

Many thanks for the input,

It looks like the Gilis, all things considered, would be a pretty good choice at the moment. And, should inspiration present itself, be a nice starting point for exploring the surrounding areas too.

If someone should have suggestions for some nice budget accommodation preferably on, or really close to, the beach please post!

Happy trails!

#6 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 22:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Gili Islands, Perenhian Islands, Yucatan or Golf of Thailand ... By travelinchen on 6 May 2011 4 2683 7 May 2011
Gili islands ... By somtam2000 on 17 Aug 2011 1 2996 17 Aug 2011
Gili Islands ... By karlrufus on 21 Feb 2012 0 794 21 Feb 2012
Party Christmas in the Gili islands??? ... By trevstonbury on 13 Aug 2014 3 503 15 Aug 2014
Visa extensions in Bali or the Gili Islands ... By bizzungax on 19 Nov 2011 6 4488 22 Nov 2011
Companions for Bali&Gili Islands May 2011 ... By Nicol on 14 Jan 2011 6 2292 30 Apr 2011
Mount Rinjani and Gili Islands - July 2014 ... By seangoh on 4 Apr 2014 0 541 4 Apr 2014
Any solo travelers headed to the Gili Islands in 2 weeks? ... By wkarnes on 27 Sep 2011 0 1867 27 Sep 2011