Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

getting to east Bali from east java

• breatheagain

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2011

Hi - we will travel through Java towards Bali and am wondering if it would be best to get a ferry from Java to west Bali and then a driver from west bali and head east (where we want to be) and see scenery on way or get a ferry from East Java straight to East Bali (is there one?).
    Any advise would be appreciated - we are fine for time although it would be nice to know long this drive would take - can we do it in a day? also any advice on costs would be great - thank you

#1 Posted: 7/2/2014 - 01:46

• Advertisement

• VelvetCultu-
    re

Click here to learn more about VelvetCulture
    Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2013
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 32

You need to go to the city of Banyuwangi in East Java. From there you can make arrangements for a ferry.
    If you want a scenic trip, I would suggest driving across the island. You can either hire a driver or rent a motorbike/vehicle.
    What do you plan on seeing in Bali?

#2 Posted: 9/2/2014 - 08:27

• breatheagain

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2011

thank you for your advise - I will make a note of Banyuwangi. In Bali we plan to spend few days in Sanur Beach, up to Ubud, on to Sideman and then to Amed - from there not sure - we want to see both Gili Air and Sulawesi - so not sure which one to go to first - any suggestions? If we go from east Java to Bali on the ferry as BusyLizzie suggested we may get a driver across Bali and see some of it that way. what do you think?

#3 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 01:33

• VelvetCultu-
    re

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2013
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 32

I spent about a week in Pantai Sanur . When you get over there, check out a hotel called Puri Kelapa. There room prices are a bit expensive for SEA ($40-$50), but I enjoyed my stay. It was a well needed break from 6-8 hour trains and sleeping in $10 a night accommodations. They have a pool, restaurant and friendly staff. There rooms are clean and the second floor rooms have balconies. It's a 5 minute walk from the beach.
    As far as getting a driver, I recommend it. I went from Pantai Sanur to Ubud, then a week later I went to Kuta from Ubud. Great price for the amount of time it took and obviously day rates are cheaper than paying for a single trip.
    Unfortunately I don't have knowledge of Gili Air or Sulawesi. I've only been to Bali and Java.
    Quick note worth mentioning. check AirAsia for rates. I jumped around SEA on $50-$100 flights. More expensive then taking a ferry or train, but I saved a lot of time. I believe Pattaya to Phuket was $60. I'm not sure what you plan on doing in Java, but maybe you could spend a few extra days in Yogyakarta and fly out from there.

#4 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 06:21

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

There is no ferry from the eastern end of Java to east Bali. The ferry that goes across from Java to Bali is just one of those shuttle things that carries buses and cars as well as passengers. In fact, you can hop on a bus in many places in Java and have it drop you off in Denpasar or any place along that road. Alternatively, you can catch the bus from wherever in Java to the ferry port at Banyuwangi where you can walk onto the ferry. When you hop off in Bali, you can then catch a bus to wherever you want to go, except for east Bali. :)

Best option might be to catch the bus all the way to Denpasar and get a taxi from there. The other option is to get the bus when you get to Bali to Lovina. From there there is good transport options.

#5 Posted: 14/2/2014 - 22:49

• VelvetCultu-
    re

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2013
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 32

I must respectively disagree with a bus. I remember so many trips on a bus, where I wish I could have just stopped on the side of the road. To take a photograph, to explore the area, but was unable to do so.
    If you want a scenic trip, rent a vehicle or hire a driver. Then you have complete control over your journey. You may choose to change your route along the way.

Mooball, bisa orang menyewa mobil di dekat Gili Manuk?

#6 Posted: 14/2/2014 - 23:26

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

VelvetCulture - Kurang tahu. I doubt it though because it's a pretty small town with only a few hotels. Should be able to get a car and driver no problem though.

#7 Posted: 14/2/2014 - 23:31

• breatheagain

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2011

thank you both - we do find long bus trips a bit tiring (we are in India at the moment) - so a driver seems a good idea.. Thank you for the ideas re ferry - it all sounds very confusing but I suppose it will make sense when we are actually there!

#8 Posted: 17/2/2014 - 23:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Beaches in east java ... By svolvar on 12 Nov 2013 1 541 13 Nov 2013
East Java itinerary ... By obligatory on 9 Jul 2014 2 306 12 Jul 2014
Red Island in East Java -- Any thoughts? ... By KhowNeow11 on 20 Sep 2012 1 1130 5 Oct 2012
Central/East Java: 7-22 September ... By cja17 on 14 Jul 2013 2 580 13 Aug 2013
national parks east java, baluran, meru betiri or alas purwo? ... By Animal_lover on 4 Feb 2013 2 1105 18 Feb 2013
Bike Tour Ubud / East Bali ... By Wizardofoz on 11 Dec 2012 3 1000 30 Dec 2012
North-east Bali rice fields resort? ... By tezza on 9 Jan 2013 6 907 11 Jan 2013
java to bali at speed! ... By Animal_lover on 17 Jul 2013 5 1013 13 Aug 2013
Itinerary Java-Bali ... By kitsune on 7 Jun 2011 4 3343 13 Jul 2011
Vaccinations for Java and Bali? ... By travelinchen on 15 Jul 2011 5 5686 25 Jul 2011