Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Surf & Yoga - recommendations?

• cosmia

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2014

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best place to go for cheap Surfing & Yoga in Indonesia?

I'm at the very beginning of my searching/planning - obviously I've been looking at Bali but I don't want to go and be taught how to be a 'goddess' - I just want somewhere chilled with interesting people, nothing too fancy & expensive.

I like a hostel vibe but would probably want a single room, staying a couple of weeks before moving on to explore the area.

Any help would be great :D

#1 Posted: 11/2/2014 - 09:29

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Í'm not a surfer so can't offer great advice, but Nusa Lembongan seems to be popular with the surf crowd. (It's a small island about 1/2 hour south of Bali). It's a nice island to visit - is well set up for tourists, but is no where near as populated or chaotic as Bali. Check out the info on this site. There are quite a few yoga studios here as well.

If you wanted to get off the beaten track, Sumbawa is also supposed to be very popular with the surfing crowd. It's perhaps a bit more difficult to get to, but would provide the chilled atmosphere that you are looking for. Not sure if they offer yoga though (I was just reading about this in an LP guide last night...)

Of course, Bali also has plenty to offer as well. The Ulu Watu area down south is popular for surfing or head up further north along the west coast, towards Yeh Gangga - I believe there is some surfing spots there too (but not much else!).

Hopefully someone with surf experience will come along and provide more specific info.

#2 Posted: 12/2/2014 - 06:55

• Muggles01

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2011

I'd second Nusa Lembongan - really relaxed, very pretty and good surf (although I would check the surf reports as my husband found it a little unchallenging after Uluwatu and Padang Padang - depends on your level I guess?). The cheap accommodation is in Jungutbatu - we just walked up the beach until we found somewhere we liked (and could afford).

Yoga studios ABOUND in Ubud - of course that's inland but distances in Bali aren't big so you could easily head there for a couple of days before going back to the coast. It might be a place to avoid if you don't want to be taught to find your inner goddess, but to be fair it is a very pretty town and might make for a nice change of scenery.

I really liked Padang Padang as well (although Nusa Lembongan was far and away my favourite place) - there are some cheap places to stay on the cliffs to the right of the beach (we stayed in the Buffalo Surf Lodge and I think the place next door was called Bali Rocks) - I highly doubt either are online but they were clean but cheap (single rooms and shared bathrooms), fairly social and the views were amazing. I'm not sure how much yoga there is though - the main focus was surfing.

Hope this helps!

#3 Posted: 12/2/2014 - 07:54

• gameazel

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2013
    Location Singapore
    Places visited:
    At least 25

Two years ago, I spent a fantastic week up in Canggu (slightly further north of the Kuta/Seminyak stretch in Bali) - I don't surf, but heard that there were okay waves there? And the place I was in (used to be called Villa Serenity; don't know if it's still the same) had free morning yoga classes as well, and the environment was incredibly chill and social - everyone there was escaping the craziness of Kuta, so it stood to reason that we were all on the same bandwidth! There were both individual backpacker rooms (which were well worth the value) and AC huts, IIRC.

Have fun!

#4 Posted: 12/2/2014 - 10:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Surf Camp / Surf holiday -- for beginners ... By JulesMc on 12 Mar 2013 0 762 12 Mar 2013