Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

a good indonesia travel book

• jenmi

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2013

I usually only use 'lonely planet', and that book proves to be a very informational book for my trip in Thailand.

how's lonely planet for Indonesia? I intend to backpack all over Indo very soon. :)

thanks for the input.

#1 Posted: 9/3/2014 - 00:12

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

same-same and little different. Assume your only able to read english? The better ones are in german.
    There WAS a very good alternative, by MOON books, but thats by now so old not useful anymore. It was politically agile and was banned by the then semi-junta Indo govmt. of the time.
    Also note that LP is OK for the usual tourist-belt islands, but Indo is enormous size and its hard for anyone to keep uptodate on whats happening in Minor Ambon or the inlands of Kalimantan, etc.
    In fact LP for TH is pretty bad=outdated in many factual things, so if you are satisfied with it it will prove better for Indo.

#2 Posted: 10/3/2014 - 02:47

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Jenmi,

I saw that nobody had responded to your question yet, so I thought I'd give it a go. For at least the past 10 years and likely longer, I carry a guidebook with my as a general reference only. They are great for things that don't quickly change, like road maps and general background information (history, cultural notes, etc.). They will help you with orientation and may even have addresses and phone numbers for museums and the like.

Apart from that, I use web research for the things that change more quickly, like guest house information and prices and transport information. Combine that with word of mouth from other travellers as you move around, and you'll be just fine.

I've used Lonely Planet for my last trip to Indonesia, and it was just fine. They also make specialty versions that focus on specific areas too, like Bali & Lombok, which may be useful for you.

If it were me, I'd visit a bookshop or get online and find the most recent copy of any of the major travel guide brands I could, compare that to price I wanted to pay, and just pick one. The one advantage of not using Lonely Planet is that you'll have a different baseline of information than the rest of the crowd, which could help get you off the beaten path more often.

I hope that helps and that you have a wonderful trip. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 10/3/2014 - 11:19

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I like LP for the maps and general info about catching buses, ferries, etc - very helpful for planning purposes. Also good for reading background info about the country, as exacto points out. However, you will find that the prices quoted in LP are very out of date - even if the book is recently published. This is primarily attributed to recent rises in cost of petrol - but also applies to accom costs, too. Also - take any publishes schedules (Bus, ferries) with a grain of salt - they change pretty quickly in Indo.

#4 Posted: 16/3/2014 - 08:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.