Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Hiring a Car in Bali

• lott9

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2014

Me and my boyfriend plan to travel to Bali in July/August, and are thinking of hiring our own car to travel round the whole island over a few weeks. We want to do this to have the freedom to go where we want, when we want. Does anybody have any idea how much it would be to hire a car for 4-6 weeks? And is this the best idea?

#1 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 07:27

• Advertisement

• felipedatt

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

Hi there. Honestly I don't think this is a good idea. Traffic is a big problem on the island and local drivers know how to beat it. Apart from that, the streets and alleys are so narrow and confusing that you could be lost forever, specially in Ubud area, where all the houses, temples, streets and rice fields look the same (amazingly beautiful, by the way). A good idea is to pick a base and hire a scooter to drive around. Then you move from place to place hiring scooters on the spot (is about 6 or 7 dolars a day). Have a nice trip

#2 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 10:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Having your own transport is a great way to see Bali. I agree with felipedatt that a motorbike is preferable (assuming you're competent on one are licensed etc) but otherwise a car is great - particularly for two people. Yes congestion and finding a park can be a problem at times, but you can manage.

You can rent something like a newish Toyota Avansa for around 250-300,000 per day - less if you took it for a longer period, more if you want it with a driver. Cheaper cars can be had for around 150-180,000 per day, again, longer hires will get you a discount.

You do need an International drivers (or riders) license to drive legally in Indonesia - in practise people who don't pay off the cops when theya re pulled over, but there are travel insurance implications for driving/riding unlicensed.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 19:43

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I disagree that it's not a good idea to hire a car. I've done it several times and because it has allowed me to explore areas that i would have otherwise missed, it resulted in a much more rewarding experience. Even though it's painful navigating through traffic sometimes, it's doable, as long as you realise that all road rules as you know them have gone out the window! You need to figure out how locals do it, maintain patience and you'll be fine.

Not sure I agree with Somtam about the bikes being a good idea though (other than in quieter areas as a day trip maybe OR unless you are very experienced). The advantage of a car is that you can lock your stuff in the car and while you pop into a restaurant or explore places during your journey. I'd be more concerned leaving stuff on a bike. Of course, there are also travel insurance coverage implications when hiring a bike, too, esp if you don't have a motorbike licence.

If you follow the advice above, and don't hire a car and only hire a scooter locally, you are then reliant on public bemos or hired drivers for transport. Bemos are cheap but uncomfortable for longish journeys (but a great chance to meet locals); hired drivers are bloody expensive in Bali. Or you can take the tourist shuttle buses but that will restrict you in terms of where you can go.

#4 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 01:17

• lott9

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2014

Thankyou for all your replies, really helpful!

felidepatt.. What would you suggest for travelling from place to place, a driver or public transport?

My boyfriend is dying to hire a motorbike, but like you say the safety and comfort of a car seeing as there is 2 of us and I have never rode before, it seems a much more practical idea! How do we go about hiring a car? Is it pretty straightforward when we get out the airport?

Also I've read about hiring a GPS with the car which might help prevent getting so lost, has anyone done this before, did it work out well? We also considered buying one that would work out there which could work out cheaper.

#5 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 04:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Cars are extremely easy to hire. Any guesthouse should be able to point you in the right direction. If you have never ridden a motorbike before then I'd say Bali probably isn't the best place to learn ;-) Though, that said, plenty do.

I don't know about hiring a GPS - if you have an unlocked smartphone, then Google- or Apple-maps should be enough when combined with an inexpensive local sim card. It's what I use and I only get lost half the time ;-)

#6 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 04:58

• lott9

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2014

Yeah I'm not sure I fancy learning on those roads, haha!

That's great thanks, how did you go about getting your sim as well?

...can you tell this is my first big travelling trip?!

#7 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 05:35

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

SIM cards are very easy to get hold of here, and quite cheap. Every other shop will sell them, and they'll put it in your phone activate it for you. Simpati is a good SIM card in Bali.

#8 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 09:30

• lott9

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2014

Ok thanks, do you know what SIM cards you'd need on the other Indonesian Islands (Java/Kalimantan/Nusa Tenggara are where we'rethinking of going)? Would you be able to use the same one?

#9 Posted: 6/4/2014 - 20:21

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

consider a motorbike while in the Kuta area...and a car if you want to go north.
    Simpati works in Bali and Java...not sure about Kalimantan

#10 Posted: 7/4/2014 - 13:30

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Hire a car. Can get one from Kuta for $10 (100,000) per day. If you're on a budget that is... otherwise the price goes up sharply if you want one with insurance, working AC, seatbelts etc... but the $10 job does just fine. Motorbikes are also very cool, but slightly less convenient for such a long trip if you have lots of luggage.

#11 Posted: 22/4/2014 - 21:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.