Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Romantic things to do in Lombok (Mataram/Sengiggi)

• hallf_brick

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

My girlfriend and I are traveling through Bali/Lombok in April, and we're going to be in Mataram on Lombok for her birthday.

I'd like to make the day amazing for her, so I'm wondering if there's anything especially good to do around that area (Mataram, Sengiggi or within half an hour) that would make the birthday next level?

#1 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 23:46

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Mataram is not my idea of romantic! It's a city, and whilst not a bad little city, it's not that special, either.

If you need to be in the vicinity, I'd suggest staying in Sengiggi if you can instead even though it's a bit touristy. It's only 20-30 mins away from Mataram and there are more choice of nice restaurants, etc).

You could hire a driver for 2-4 hours (or your own car/motorbikes) and head up the coastal road past Sengiggi to some nice beaches (eg Malimbu) where you can have the beach to yourself for a swim. (I did this recently, and we were the only people on the beach. Aside from a local who stopped by to say Hi). There is a hilltop warung at the viewpoint at the top of Malimbu where you can pay to park. You will have to walk down a steep hill (sturdy-ish shoes would be useful) and of course walk back up. You can walk back up through the coconut grove behind you to the main road (there are some stairs further north along the beach) but you will have to crawl over a gate. But it's shorter and easier than the track that you took to get down. Stop for lunch in one of the swankier places in Sengiggi on the way back.

Might be best to check the tides before you make the trip thought.
    Just one idea anyhow...

#2 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 03:45

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Nice idea from lizzy.

Since you'll be in Mataram, you might consider hiring a car or scooter and heading south towards Kuta and that end of the island too. I haven't been there in quite a while, but it was lovely when I visited and still gets good comments from people like somtam2000 who visit the area.

If it were me, I'd try to find a good massage and spa place in Mataram where you could either do a treatment together or sign her up for a few hours of pampering while you go off to enjoy a few Bintangs. Then when she is done, take her out to a nice restaurant in town.

You are in Indonesia together, so your starting point for the day is already next level. Greeting her with breakfast in bed, particularly if your hotel has room service, and arranging a few nice things for her like a special trip to the beach or a massage followed by a nice dinner will go a long way.

Good luck!

#3 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 13:21

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Nice ideas from exact, too. He's such a romantic! :-)

Off you head down south to kuta, an excellent beach there to aim for its Mawun, about 10km eat of Kuta. No accommodation there (at least 3 years ago), but another gorgeous beach that you just might have fyi yourselves. The road there was really rough so don't try on motorbike unless you're experienced.

#4 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 19:40

• hallf_brick

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Awesome ideas!

A massage/spa was definitely on the cards. But I really like the idea of getting a car and heading to a more scenic part of the island.
    How is it to drive on Lombok? The roads aren't as crazy as Bali are they?
    Or is it just less hassle to get a driver?

#5 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 19:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
The most romantic things to do on honeymoon ... By reynas on 10 Jul 2014 0 122 10 Jul 2014
Romantic things to do in Boracay for a couple ... By hoorayhi on 5 Mar 2013 2 2609 30 Mar 2013