Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Sumatra

• rhkungel

Joined Travelfish
    25th March, 2014

On the advice of our son who lives in Singapore, my husband and I have booked a 2 week trip to Sumatra. We will spend half the time in Bukit Luwang (have found a guide to take us into the orangoutang preserve) then fly to Banda Aceh and will take a ferry to the island of Pulau Weh. Now I find no links or info on these areas at all on Travelfish and am getting a bit nervous about whether we have gone too remote. We are experienced travelers, 60ish, quite fit and open minded. We wanted to avoid the over-touristed areas of Bali and Java, but do like a bit of comfort. Has anybody been to these places recently? Will we be way too hot, out of place and uncomfortable? Would appreciate any suggestions and encouragement.

#1 Posted: 25/3/2014 - 02:56

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Usually I reserve this comment for ignorant newbees, but it may as well apply to you. There is very little on www for this area, as its little visited by westerners, even much less as in the 90ies, and the basic facts are in those old-fashioned things called guidebooks. This forum caters mostly to 1st time bekpekkers-who all follow the very same trail, as they mainly seem to want each others company-and think thats adventurous enough. Other more mainstream fora like lonelyplanet or even tripadvsior may have more posts. There is not any need- to book guides now-there are plenty available at likely much lower fees locally.
    You did not mention time of year. Its tropics, but there is cooler and hotter season, rain may come all year-and in gale amounts.
    do NOT expect much of comfort above 2* out of Medan. Note that the north, Aceh, is very strict muslim and applies all types of harsh penalties. Ladies DO cover up! This applies a little less for island Weh.
    You will nevertheless find locals are very welcoming and polite, but the inggris command (=english for you) is not wide spread. Though you did not mention, its likely you fly into Medan-this has a brand new airpt many kms from town/the old spot.

#2 Posted: 27/3/2014 - 06:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.