Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Best places to surf in Bali?

• ChristD

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2014

Hey guys,

I'm headed out to Bali later on this year (October) and plan to stay there for just over 2 weeks and then continue on with my travels. I was hoping to learn to surf over there and was wondering where the best places to go were? I've also never been surfing before if that makes a difference.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 15/4/2014 - 08:16

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Most choose to learn in the Kuta and Legian area as that is where there are a tonne of schools and the conditions are suited to those learning. I wrote a story about learning to surf in Bali a coupla years ago - may be of interest,

Cheers

#2 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 03:51

• Travis_Chia

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2014

Hi,
    Bali and the surrounding islands have some great surfing beaches, with beach breaks for beginners and huge barrel. Among those beaches, Kuta beach is one of the most famous beach to enjoy over there, which is the easiest and most beginner friendly beach to try your surfing skills. The beach is close to the nightlife and tourist center of Legian, hence the beach is always crowded.

#3 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 05:31

• ChristD

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2014

Somtam - Your learning to surf story was very informative, thank you! I don't suppose if you know if the surf instructor you used is still available? He sounds very good!

Also, how long would you guys suggest is a good amount of time to spend in Bali? I'm in the process of booking flights out of Bali and I have a choice of staying either 2 or 3 weeks before that.

#4 Posted: 18/4/2014 - 13:08

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ahh I don't know if he is still working for them -- I'd suggest dropping them a line (story has their website) and ask after him. If you have the time, Bali certainly worth 3 weeks - tho depends on your budget, interests etc. Most first time visitors give it 2-3 weeks.

More questions, ask away :-)

#5 Posted: 5/5/2014 - 06:58

• ChristD

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2014

Thanks for getting back to me, I'll have to check it out!

I booked my flights out of Bali just last week so I'll be there for a total of 17 days. How much on average did you budget per day (taking in to account activities you were doing etc)? I just want to get a rough idea of how much I'll have left for when I make my way to Oz.

#6 Posted: 7/5/2014 - 16:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I live here, so on a different kinda budget. Your main cost will be accommodation, booze ads up too. If you're spending some in the touristic areas (south Bali and Ubud) then $30 a day is a starting point. If you drink a lot or doing a lot of activities, or hiring a motorbike or something, then more.

#7 Posted: 9/5/2014 - 03:26

• HamishHealys

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2014
    Location Australia

There are some nice surfing beaches around Bali.If you find it is not to your liking and you can afford the time and the funds.You should maybe try Siargao in the Philippines. If my memory serves me right it is just a couple of hours flight from Vietnam.

#8 Posted: 14/5/2014 - 17:13

• clayeee

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2014
    Location Singapore

Try Batu Boloong beach in the village of Canggu. Its a beginners spot and the place is much more relaxed then in Kuta or Legian. There's board rentals at the carpark and u can get cheap private lessons on the spot too.

If going to a school is what u're looking for, i highly recommend Bali Green Surf in Jalan Drupadi. The instructors are really nice and fun to hang out with both in and out of the water.

Enjoy!

#9 Posted: 22/5/2014 - 23:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
surf in Bali then 1 week at Gili ... By sammargherita on 17 Apr 2011 1 2397 8 Sep 2013
Surf Camp / Surf holiday -- for beginners ... By JulesMc on 12 Mar 2013 0 714 12 Mar 2013