Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Bus from Kuta (Airport) to Ubud

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi, would like info on what kind of public transport available from Kuta (preferably near the airport) to Ubud. If buses are available, how frequent are they? We don't mind it being express or not, as using the same transport with the locals can be part of a genuine experience.

#1 Posted: 9/5/2014 - 11:11

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

1.Read a guidebook-a good one has the info.
    2.there are not really normal size buses on Bali, its mostly bemo, a van, dilapidated but with somewhere it once had a sign reading the outer ends.
    3.if youve never been in Indo, avoid it-you will be fleeced and it wont be nice or comfy and only fit for baby-size
    4.you need 3 bemo's: from the outer rd @ airpt-very far from INT. arr, into DPS, with a large circle around Kuta, then a local ditto in DPS to other TERMINal, then same to Ubud. All cease by 18/19.00=dusk
    5.PERAMA turis bus MAY run, but its mostly only prebooked-check their website if they allow it.

#2 Posted: 10/5/2014 - 06:06

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Travelfish is a travel guide, so asking this type of question here is exactly the point. Besides, printed guidebooks are frequently a year out of date on the day they are published. Things change quickly, which is why we have this message board. Use it.

I agree that using local, public transportation is part of the fun, and I like to do it whenever it is practical. But the Kuta/airport area to Ubud may not be one of those times. In my own (although admittedly dated) experience, public transportation on Bali just isn't convenient or practical. Everything I've read getting ready for my trip there next month seems to support this too.

Hopefully Somtam will chime in here with a specific suggestion on how you can travel this route using public transportation, but unless he has a workable suggestion, you might consider just splashing out on a taxi instead. It still won't be all that expensive all things considered. If you do discover something good, please let us know, as I'll be in the same situation in late June. Thanks and good luck.

#3 Posted: 10/5/2014 - 12:49

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Once again, Captainbkk offers little in the way of help. This is a forum, where people can come to for travel advice. It's not intended for unhelpful expat trolls with nothing better to do than give newbie travellers a hard time.

However, Captainbkk does eventually make one helpful point - check out the Perama website: http://www.peramatour.com/onlineform.php?idprod=84

They run several buses'/shuttles a day from Kuta to Ubud for 50,000rp each. You can make your way to their office in Kuta, or for an additional amount, they will pick you up from your hotel (15,000rp each I seem to recall). It looks like you can pre-book online but I'd tend to wait until you were there and just go to their office. Once you are in Kuta, there are small travel agents all around - you can ask any of them for any bus suggestions.

And of course, Somtam will no doubt pop up with some good info too,

#4 Posted: 11/5/2014 - 08:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Honestly, I'd get a taxi.

You could get a cab into Kuta to pick up the Pernama bus to Ubud , but that is far from a "local experience" as in primarily a tourist bus.

@Lizzy, C'Bkk actually not far off on the bemo situation, first to bemo corner, then to Denpasar Terminal then to Ubud -- set aside 3-4 hours for that excursion.

@Chopin, sorry for the late reply, but there is basically no public bus from the airport to Ubud -- get a cab -- perhaps offer to split the fare with a local :-)

#5 Posted: 11/5/2014 - 09:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I was referring mainly to Bkk's first point about get a guide book.

Chopin also didn't say that he was coming from the airport - but was NEAR the airport. I also had assumed from the airport at first, and when I re-read the post, had to re-write what I wrote - which would have been to get a taxi to Ubud (or at least to Kuta, to meet Perama).

A cab to Ubud would be about 200-250,000rp maybe? Perama shuttle would be half that for 2 people - so it depends on what kind of budget Chopin is on.

I agree with all that taking a bemo would be a lot of effort and not exactly an enjoyable 'local' experience. I'd just get to Ubud however you can (bus/taxi) and then enjoy the 'local' experience once you get there.

#6 Posted: 11/5/2014 - 09:41

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ahh sorry, I miss read. Yeah, if already in Kuta, then check with pernama - will be cheaper than a cab -- assuming their times works for you.

#7 Posted: 11/5/2014 - 09:44

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

hi, sorry for a rather late update, and hope the following info would still be useful to exacto.

following some of you guys' advice, we contacted Perama:

http://www.peramatour.com/onlineform.php?idprod=84

they actually did reply mail within 24 hours. The fair from Kuta to Ubud is 50k IDR which is very good, but our flight reached Kuta at 13:00 and we would not be able to catch the 1330 bus, the next one up was at 1630 but my wife couldn't wait to go Ubud at once, so we took the cab(airport with coupon), fair now is 300k. although from google map the distance is only 38km and time to ttravel 46 minutes, the actual ride took more than an hour and half as the roads in Bali are narrow and many vehicles like bikes and cars and small trucks are sharing the roads making everybody going slow. But, Ubud is definitely worth the efforts.

If I was there alone or if the waiting time was shorter, I'd take the Perama bus. Do note that I don't know where is their pick up point in Kuta, whether it is near the airport or far I don't know. Travellers should find this out beforehand. One note is that the airport is actually very near to the main streets of Kuta, and taxi fair is 70k. On our way back from Kuta to the airport our hotel provides drop off at 50k--might be useful reference to some.

#8 Posted: 27/5/2014 - 20:53

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

and, sorry for the slight confusion, i was asking about going from the airport to Ubud. Lizzy, would Perama come to the airport (if it is even allowed?) to pick up passengers who have pre-booked? again, I don't need this info anymore (at least not for this time), yet it would be appreciated by other backpackers.... :-)

#9 Posted: 27/5/2014 - 20:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Day trips to Gili Air-Lombok, Kuta-Ubud? ... By Nicol on 5 Feb 2011 3 4401 17 Feb 2011