Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Security situation in July

• nunima

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

Hi,
    we are a young couple and we wold like to go to Bali/jakarta and Gili island in July but i've read that there will be the election on the 9Th of July and that the situation coul not be safe. Could you give me some advice? Thank you in advance!

#1 Posted: 11/5/2014 - 15:31

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Nunima,

I wouldn't be changing any plans over an election. We live in Bali and aside from the posters they'll put up everywhere, I'd expect to barely notice it.

July will have great weather - top time to visit.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 11/5/2014 - 22:58

• nunima

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

I know that's the best period for the wheater, but my biyfriend is still a bit worried about the election period...We read that there's more criminality in this period agaist tourists

#3 Posted: 14/5/2014 - 08:58

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I wouldn't think twice about going during the elections, especially in Bali and the Gili's. They will be more focussed on collecting the tourist dollar than creating havoc during the elections. If you're still concerned, you could avoid Jakarta during the actual election dates, but seriously, I wouldn't worry.

Somtam has lived in Bali for years (with two young children). If he's not concerned - there is no reason for you to be. Where are you reading this info about criminality?

#4 Posted: 14/5/2014 - 13:15

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Just to back up what others said, there shouldn't be any problems over the election period. I think what you're reading is more to do with political rallies and demos. Just don't join in if there happens to be any.

#5 Posted: 19/5/2014 - 08:29

• Joanne2014

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2014

Hi Nunima

I was in Java throughout the election in April and felt completely safe. I didn't go out on election day, but that was only because I was warned the traffic would be even worse than usual.
    Hope you go and have a great time.

#6 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 00:07

• gdarmaadi

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2014

Hi Nunima
    I am Balinese, glad to hear yo will be visit Bali
    Bali is the safe place to visit, don't be worry about election, your vacation will be going smoothly, if you need someone to take you arround don't hesitate to contact me

Gusti

#7 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 03:35

• nunima

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

Thank you all for your kindness but in the end we decided to organize differently the trip also because the flight was too expensive ( i have to admit that the election was not a problem :P). I hope to come next year!

#8 Posted: 27/5/2014 - 17:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Security situation in Sabah ... By esonia1982 on 5 Mar 2013 7 2537 26 May 2013