Budget Accommodation Lombok?!

• louiisamarie

Click here to learn more about louiisamarie
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2014
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 25

Hi, can anyone recommend some budget accommodation on Lombok, for a solo female backpacker? Can't seem to find any Hostels. I head there on 20 May.

I'm travelling to Gilli Islands after a few days in Lombok so close to where you catch the boat would be very convenient.

Cheers :)

#1 Posted: 14/5/2014 - 02:04

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I stayed in Senggigi because I had a plane to catch the next day and wanted to have few worries catching it all the way from Gili Air . I was really disappointed with the town and would only suggest it as a one-night stop over. It isn't a place to enjoy the beach really or that fun to explore the town. I had originally planned a few days around Kuta, but people told me to skip it for time on Gili Air (considering I was just looking for some quiet beach time and a few beers after dinner). At the time (.... 2 years ago?) some people expressed safety/sense-of-security concerns while staying in Kuta, Lambok. This may no longer be a problem. That said, word is that the coast down around there is beautiful, though mostly for surfers. Hope that is of some help.

#2 Posted: 15/5/2014 - 01:01

• louiisamarie

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2014
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 25

Oh no I was looking in Senggigi. I will be on Lombok for 3 nights while waiting for a friend to arrive before we move onto Gilli T. I wonder where the surfers stay? I'm just looking for a hostel or cheap guesthouse but google is no help! Do you think it's like in SE Asia where you can just arrive on the day and find accommodation?

Thanks for your reply :)

#3 Posted: 17/5/2014 - 03:21

• ChristD

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2014

I'm actually in the same boat as you. I've been looking at HostelWorld and HostelBookers (as well as scouring google!) and only managed to come up with guesthouses etc.

From what I understand, a lot of the smaller hostels don't have websites so it's just a case of asking when you get there and hoping you find something. Because I can't imagine that there's not a single hostel in Lombok!

#4 Posted: 17/5/2014 - 04:23

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

if you are arriving by air & are on a budget there is a shuttle bus that departs roughly every hour from the airport to sengiggi. Not sure of the price but certainly less expensive than private transportation, which will be about 250,000 IDR in a taxi.

Once in Sengiggi you can ask around for a cheap home stay ( There are no hostels in Lombok, Gili T just got it's first hostel last year), and you should be able to find something.

Getting to Bangsal ( the departure point for the Gilis) from sengiggi you will need to take a taxi. bemos do not run as far as bangsal. And once you are about 1 km from the harbor the taxi will have to stop & you will have to get out & either get a cidomo for 10,000 per person, or walk. You can , pay a bribe of 5000 IDR to the cidomo ( horsecart )mafia that stops all cars and you should get through all the way to the harbor.

There is a ticket office at the harbor & the price is roughly 15,000 IDR, but the staff will tell you, things like " there are no more boats" "oh you will have wait a long time, you need to charter" etc. don't believe them, boats leave when there are 20 or so people which happens about every 20 minutes.

I live here on Gili T so if you have more questions about logistics, I'm happy to help

#5 Posted: 17/5/2014 - 21:23

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

@louiisamarie and ChristD - have a look at the listings on Agoda.com. While looking for a place to stay in the Senggigi Beach area in late June, I found several homestays on Agoda that were very affordable and looked clean and comfy. I can't recommend any because we haven't stayed yet, but I suspect that you can find something even at this late date that will meet your needs.

@savorygal - do you know how late that shuttle runs from the airport to Senggigi? We are booked on the Lion Air flight from Yogyakarta direct to Mataram, and it is scheduled to arrive at 2000. There are four of us, so I wonder if a taxi would be all that much more than four shuttle fares. Cheers.

#6 Posted: 17/5/2014 - 23:01

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

exacto, I'm not sure how late the shuttle runs but the price of a taxi for 4 of you would be almost the same as the shuttle. Metered blue bird taxis are not allowed to park at the airport, but as you leave the terminal, about 100 meters on your right is a parking lot where they all congregate. That would be the least expensive option for 4 of you i would think. have fun.

#7 Posted: 18/5/2014 - 09:26

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Thanks for the tip, savorygal. I remember using metered Blue Birds on my very first trip to Jakarta back in 1999. I was living in Bangkok at the time and the Blue Birds seemed extra nice. Take care and best wishes.

#8 Posted: 18/5/2014 - 15:15

• louiisamarie

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2014
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 25

@savorygal thank you very much for all the helpful information!! Since you are a local can I ask a question off the subject? Yesterday I was horrified to find bedbugs in my back pack after a dodgy hostel on Koh Rong and need to find a place with an industrial dryer or at the least a do it yourself laundry mat to kill them with heat. I know it's a long shot but do you know of any places on Lombok? Thanks again!!

#9 Posted: 19/5/2014 - 19:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.