Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Bali - Ijen Lake - Mount Bromo - Surabaya tour - questions

Posted by khr132 on 1/6/2014 at 23:36

Meand my girlfriend are going to do the Bali – Ijen Lake – Mount Bromo – Surabaya Tour

Our programme:

Friday 11.30 – Arrival on Bali by plane
Saturday afternoon – Leave Bali and head on to a place near Ijen Lake
Sunday early morning – Go see Ijen Lake
Sunday early afternoon – Leave Ijen Lake and head to a place Mount Bromo area
Monday morning – Go see Mount Bromo
Monday early afternoon – Head to Surabaya airport

Questions:
1) Would it be too much trouble to do this whole tour without a tour package? (I’mespecially thinking about all the transport) If yes, do you have anyexperiences with any travel agencies?
2) We don’t have more than around 24 hours on Bali. Any recommendations on whicharea to stay (preferably close to a beach) where you don’t spend too much timeon transportation from the airport and where you have easy connections forgoing to Java the next day?
3) Which small town is preferably to stay at around Ijen Lake?
4) Which small town is preferably to stay at around Mount Bromo?

I know that not all of the questions are specifically about Bali, I hope thatit’s till OK that I post them here.

#1 khr132 has been a member since 1/6/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by mooball on 4/6/2014 at 04:50 TF writer

It's not too much trouble, but you are going to need to hire private transport for Ijen. Probably from Banyuwangi. A jeep will cost you about 400,000 rupiah and should be able to drop you off in Bondowoso, but you will have to negotiate hard on this as they will likely want to charge a lot more because it's quite a long way. Oh yeah, you don't want to be leaving Ijen in the afternoon... you want to leave that as early as possible as it's a long way to Bromo by public transport.

I think main thing is that with such a tight itinterary, you are going to need to be adaptable to different transport options. That is, if you miss a bus, you might need to catch a bus to a different place and change bus... or catch a motorbike or hire a car.

In fact, if I had flights booked, I'd be using as much private transport as possible... But it's doable by taking a lot of public transport as well.

Just to point out why I'm being cautious... there is no public transport to Ijen. You are going to need to negotiate something there... The last bus from Probolinggo to Cemoro Lawang (Bromo) departs at around 3pm, but sometimes later if there are enough passengers. If you get there at 3:30pm, what are you going to do? You have no choice but to charter the bus yourself or catch a motorbike... you will just need to adapt to the situation and you certain can't plan things to the nearest hour as it's just not how transport works in Indonesia (ie No timetable of departures)

Doable, but no relaxing.

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 429
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.