Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Bali - Ijen Lake - Mount Bromo - Surabaya tour - questions

• khr132

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2014

Meand my girlfriend are going to do the Bali – Ijen Lake – Mount Bromo – Surabaya Tour

Our programme:

Friday 11.30 – Arrival on Bali by plane
    Saturday afternoon – Leave Bali and head on to a place near Ijen Lake
    Sunday early morning – Go see Ijen Lake
    Sunday early afternoon – Leave Ijen Lake and head to a place Mount Bromo area
    Monday morning – Go see Mount Bromo
    Monday early afternoon – Head to Surabaya airport

Questions:
    1) Would it be too much trouble to do this whole tour without a tour package? (I’mespecially thinking about all the transport) If yes, do you have anyexperiences with any travel agencies?
    2) We don’t have more than around 24 hours on Bali. Any recommendations on whicharea to stay (preferably close to a beach) where you don’t spend too much timeon transportation from the airport and where you have easy connections forgoing to Java the next day?
    3) Which small town is preferably to stay at around Ijen Lake?
    4) Which small town is preferably to stay at around Mount Bromo?

I know that not all of the questions are specifically about Bali, I hope thatit’s till OK that I post them here.

#1 Posted: 1/6/2014 - 23:36

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

It's not too much trouble, but you are going to need to hire private transport for Ijen. Probably from Banyuwangi. A jeep will cost you about 400,000 rupiah and should be able to drop you off in Bondowoso, but you will have to negotiate hard on this as they will likely want to charge a lot more because it's quite a long way. Oh yeah, you don't want to be leaving Ijen in the afternoon... you want to leave that as early as possible as it's a long way to Bromo by public transport.

I think main thing is that with such a tight itinterary, you are going to need to be adaptable to different transport options. That is, if you miss a bus, you might need to catch a bus to a different place and change bus... or catch a motorbike or hire a car.

In fact, if I had flights booked, I'd be using as much private transport as possible... But it's doable by taking a lot of public transport as well.

Just to point out why I'm being cautious... there is no public transport to Ijen. You are going to need to negotiate something there... The last bus from Probolinggo to Cemoro Lawang (Bromo) departs at around 3pm, but sometimes later if there are enough passengers. If you get there at 3:30pm, what are you going to do? You have no choice but to charter the bus yourself or catch a motorbike... you will just need to adapt to the situation and you certain can't plan things to the nearest hour as it's just not how transport works in Indonesia (ie No timetable of departures)

Doable, but no relaxing.

#2 Posted: 4/6/2014 - 04:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bali to Ijen and Bromo ... By screamin on 8 Jul 2013 4 969 12 Jul 2013
Has anyone done the Yogi-Bromo-Bali tour?? ... By douluvme49 on 30 Sep 2011 0 1530 30 Sep 2011
Going back from Bromo to Bali ... By bennyherlanda on 10 Feb 2012 0 935 10 Feb 2012
Bali to Gunung Bromo?! ... By HollyN on 20 Sep 2012 2 1670 21 Sep 2012
Would it be dumb to do Yogya --> Bromo --> Bali independently? ... By HeHeLOL5 on 6 May 2013 14 9401 21 Sep 2013
Yogya-Bromo-Bali -- travel advice? ... By travelinchen on 1 Aug 2011 6 5683 26 Dec 2011
Recommendations for Mt. Bromo tour ... By travelinchen on 19 May 2011 6 2945 22 May 2011
Climbing Mount Batur and Mount Rinjani ... By noberoi31 on 27 Oct 2013 1 725 29 Oct 2013
Getting from Lake Toba to Banyuwangi and then on to Bali. ... By Arikara1985 on 11 Apr 2014 4 600 22 Apr 2014