Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Itinerary Advice for Bali/Gilis!

• travelnasty

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2014

Hey guys, thought i'd sign up and maybe get some advice/tips on my upcoming trip to bali/gilis.

So my plan right now is:

Kuta - 3 days
    Banyuwangi - 1 day
    Lovina - 2 days
    Amed - 4 days
    Gili T - 7 days
    Ubud - 3 days

Do i need to add another city/town? any must dos? I really don't know much about Lovina if anyone has some specific tips about that?!

Thanks

#1 Posted: 12/6/2014 - 11:44

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Hi. Banyuwangi is in Java. Not really much there and is more of a resting point prior to heading up to Ijen or coming back from Ijen.

Amed to Gilis might be problematic. Most people travel direct from Padang Bai to Gilis.

The last point is about transport. Unless you're doing this with your own transport, it's going to be difficult as transport between some of those places is a pain. Like Lovina to Amed, Amed to Padang Bai... some other routes you'll be using a tourist shuttle, others still, it'll be long distance buses...

First tip would be to drop Banyuwangi and head straight to Lovina. From there, do day trips around the north of Bali. Amed is a little difficult without your own transport in my view... but it can be done. From there it is possible to get to Padang Bai by public transport, but it may well take you all day and is probably going to be via Amlapura where a change of bus is a probability. But if you're heading past Amlapura, definitely worth checking out a couple of temples around that area... I'd stay in the area around Tirta Gangga for a night to break it up a bit.

Gilis to Ubud may require a night in Padang Bai if transport doesn't match up... same on the way to the Gilis. You'll be staying there at least one night waiting for transport.

Best option is to rent a car or motorbike in Kuta for maximum flexibility.

#2 Posted: 17/6/2014 - 22:37

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I believe that there are speedboats between Amed and Gili T. They will be expensive, though.

I agree with Mooball - for the travelling that you want to do, hire a car and see the sights in Bali. Then return to Kuta, hand the car in and get a boat to Gili T.

#3 Posted: 18/6/2014 - 04:05

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

There are 2 boats from Amed to Gili Trawangan. One is the Kuta Hitam & I have forgotten the name of the other, but you should be able to get a ticket easily enough once you arrive in Amed. Only slightly more expensive than the fast boats from padang bai. Buy a one way ticket then once on Gili you can get a boat to padang Bai which will include transport to Ubud.

Agreed that Banyuwangi should be dropped.

Have fun, sounds like a good trip

#4 Posted: 18/6/2014 - 08:33

• comtam3000

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2014
    Location United States

I just got done doing a motorcycle trip around Bali to most of the spots you mentioned, starting and ending in Kuta, did a loop starting in Ubud, out around Gunung Agung to Amed, to Lovina, then to Pemeturan for some snorkeling at Menjangan, then straight back to Kuta. Would highly recommend it, we could have used twice the time (only did 1 week).

#5 Posted: 30/7/2014 - 05:48

• manggejor

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2014

let me arrange litle bit
    kuta 3 days to ubud, go to gilis, amed , to lovina, to banyuwangi, take off from surabaya int'l airport
    kuta to ubud ( 1 hour)
    ubud to padang bay harbor to cacth fast boat (1 hour)
    P.bay with fast boat to gilis ( 1.30 minute)
    Gilis cacth fast boat to AMEd ( pacha fast boat operating from amed)
    amed to lovina (2 hour)
    lovina to gilimanuk to cacth ferry ( 2 hours)
    crosing to ketapang banyuwangi ( 1 hour)
    banyuwangi to surabaya airport max 3 hours

good luck

#6 Posted: 10/8/2014 - 07:36

• amandaed2014

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2014

Kuta is too crowded. I usually prefer Seminyak. The night life is much better.
    We stayed at Chandra last year and had a great time exploring the area. Loads of lovely food, cafes, shopping and nightclubs

Im glad you have 3 days in Ubud. For us, even a week wasn't enough.
    We fell in love with the place and loved doing yoga, trekking and rafting.
    We stayed at Kayumanis.
    Haven't been to the other places so can't comment on that.

#7 Posted: 4/9/2014 - 08:02

• gugel

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2014
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 10

banyuwangi to surabaya airport max 3 hours???

Are you kidding? Yes, you can. But if you are using private jet
    Normally, from Banyuwangi to Surabaya airport you need at least 5-7hours by using a car

#8 Posted: 10/9/2014 - 02:34

• Proudmoore

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2014

Seminyak is your place to go just like Amanda said. The food is really amazing and you will definitely find something for yourself no matter if you prefer partying and colorful nightlife or quiet and peaceful walks.

#9 Posted: 11/9/2014 - 05:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Poste restante in bali or the gilis? ... By Jojc123 on 7 Jun 2014 2 572 21 Jun 2014
Avoid: Ekajaya fast boat between Bali and the Gilis ... By somtam2000 on 14 Jul 2014 2 1599 16 Jul 2014
Lombok/Gilis and Bali in September until 3.10 , travel buddies are welcome! ... By catweazle on 5 Aug 2013 1 1179 16 Aug 2013
Snorkeling/beach time in Bali: Pemuteran vs. Gilis? ... By mattgrieger on 20 Dec 2012 2 2202 21 Dec 2012
Itinerary advice for Bali/Lombok travel during Jan/Feb. ... By Sniksah on 29 Sep 2014 11 920 22 Oct 2014