Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Help booking train from Jakarta to Yogyakarta online

• Shoshana

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2014

Hi all
    I'm trying to book a train from Jakarta to Yogy online - I land in Jakarta very late on the 28th June, and want to travel on on the 30th June and I'm wary that I may not be able to get a ticket in person because it's Ramadan and peak travel season.
    First, a question of where to travel from? My book claims that cheaper less comfortable trains go from Pasar Senen, or more expensive more comfortable trains from Gambier - is there that much of a difference that I should pay more??
    I am using the website kereta-api.co.id. The options for arrival at Yogyakarta are Brambanan, Lempuyangan, Sentolo, Wates or Yogyakarta. My travel book says I want to go to Tugu, but this isn't an option. So am I right in selecting Yogyakarta?
    Finally, once I have input my options I see different options for different prices. Can anyone explain from these screenshots what the differences are between trains/carriages, and recommend an option?

[img]http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/ShoahanaTravel/media/ScreenShot2014-06-14at132921_zpscd8514c3.png.html[/img]
    [img]http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/ShoahanaTravel/media/ScreenShot2014-06-14at131404_zpsfdaeb2ba.png.html[/img]

Many many thanks.
    Just unsure what to book and can't find any good translations.

#1 Posted: 14/6/2014 - 07:34

• Advertisement

• nzhamsta

Click here to learn more about nzhamsta
    Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2014
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 45

Hi Shoshana,
    The best train is the number 10, Argo Dwipangga. It cost me 432K ($NZ53) rupiah last year and I could book online with my NZ credit card. You do need to convert the email booking document into a real ticket at the station before departure (there is a dedicated window for that and the station staff will show you where it is). The train itself was quite comfortable with videos being shown and rather grubby windows that are not great for photos. They served lunch at your seat (about 25k rupiah or $NZ4) and water etc is available. The main station in Yogjakarta is called Tugu but is shown as Yogjakarta on the booking engine.
    Regards,
    Glynn

#2 Posted: 14/6/2014 - 19:29

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

the main crush is AFTER Rmd has ended. Not during.
    The kereta api ex Gambir (where one of the dirct airportbuses ends right beside) are now all ekseketip. Read seat61 for info re train classes. Its an AC, probably a bit dated, but wide bis-class seats, reclining.Prices DIFFER per date and that can mean up to 25% less till 50% more as base. Kelas bisnes is non-AC, double seats, mostly like they have in NZ on Wellington local trains, varies per train how clean or kotor. In nearly all major cities, stations=stasion are now divided between higher and lower kelas trains (ekenomi). The fares are the same anyway for nearby destinasi, so that does not matter much.

#3 Posted: 15/6/2014 - 04:05

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Trains shouldn't be a problem at that time because it's Ramadan and as captainbkk says, it's no big deal. As you get closer to D-day, then you begin to have massive problems. But Ramadan itself is not a problem per se.

My advice is to get a train from Gambir if possible. Much better than those cheaper ones from Pasar Senen. Arrive in Yogya... that will be the main station.

The differences in fares you see I have no idea about and a local I asked also has no idea. If I was going to book, I'd just get the cheapest. The letters are a reference to subclasses and may simply be the age of the carriage or something, but I'm not sure.

If you don't like the official website, ticket.com is a good alternative. More english on that site.

#4 Posted: 17/6/2014 - 22:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Booking train to Chiang Mai online ... By erinj on 3 Aug 2007 6 3549 12 Aug 2007
online train ticket booking ... By alex82 on 23 May 2013 6 1780 25 May 2013
Train ticket Jakarta - Yog - available on the day? ... By neila83 on 29 May 2011 3 2902 3 Aug 2011
Online ferry booking? ... By shakester on 17 Nov 2008 1 2377 26 Nov 2008
Booking Air Asia online ... By emmryss on 14 Dec 2007 9 19195 18 Feb 2009
Lao Airlines online booking ... By daawgon on 7 Apr 2012 2 1571 26 Apr 2012
KTM trains online booking ... By fox80 on 20 Feb 2011 2 34254 24 Feb 2011
online booking of hostel or hotel ... By Bello on 23 May 2007 11 2252 5 Jun 2007
Difficulty booking online with AirAsia... ... By ms1892 on 19 Feb 2010 11 6374 9 Mar 2010
Booking hostels online and airport pickup ... By Pokol on 29 Sep 2009 12 2929 14 Mar 2010