Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Java in July...too rainy?

• comtam3000

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2014

Towards the tail end of July and early August, I'd like to spend just over a week exploring East Java. Two highlights for me will be Mt. Bromo and Kawah Ijen. A few Indonesians have told me it's going to be really rainy there though...has anyone been to these areas this time of the year? I'd like to brave the rain...but for example if the chances of getting a clear day at Bromo are very very slim this time of year then I'd opt to skip it. Anyone tried this?

#1 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 00:36

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Wierd that your Indonesian friends said Java would be very wet in July and August. I think there's a possible el Nino event this year but AFAIK the main rainy season in Indonesia is usually November-March.

#2 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 03:11

• comtam3000

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2014

Cheers @SBE

#3 Posted: 12/7/2014 - 19:49

• Esusino

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2013

We went last year and we had no rain at all, rainy season is nov-march
    Best

#4 Posted: 12/7/2014 - 19:58

• noddytravel

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2014
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 86

yeah same, was in java last year july/august, did bromo etc. no issues with weather, only Ramadan...

and yes afaik.. nov-mar rainy season

#5 Posted: 13/7/2014 - 07:54

• comtam3000

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2014

@noddytravel - what problems did you run into during Ramadan on Java? I'd assume slower transport?

#6 Posted: 13/7/2014 - 08:18

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Yes, Java's (and Bali's) dry season is when you'll be there. Should be hot in the lowlands and freezing around Bromo. Should be good! Ramadan itself doesn't pose too many problems for travellers. I know people go on and on about it, but Ramadan isn't the problem. It's the end of Ramadan when you have issues -- the time when everyone returns from the big cities to the villages of their families. This starts around a week before the end of Ramadan (in a few days) and things are busy for about a week after. All buses and trains will be booked up and you're only way of getting around is by turning up to bus stations and hoping for the best, getting private car and driver or getting on some sort of tour.

Lucky for you there is great tourist transport between many East Java cities and Bromo/Ijen. They runs these shuttles which are more expensive than normal buses, but they are direct meaning you don't have to worry about changing buses and trains all around the place. Should suit your needs perfectly.

#7 Posted: 20/7/2014 - 05:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
how rainy in July/August for travel? ... By truesd10 on 27 Apr 2009 6 16924 15 Apr 2011
Koh Chang rainy in july? Tips for better stay then ... By Jolinde on 22 Jun 2010 2 2360 23 Jun 2010