Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Local Cuisine Query

• meerkats

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2014

Hi All

I just have a query regarding local cuisine. I would like to try the local fruit bat (kalong) meat, and was wondering which restaurant or market would serve this in North Sulawesi region?

Thanks All
    Jon

#1 Posted: 17/7/2014 - 08:51

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

this is so specific for that region (only), that you simply have to ask when there-that wont be hard. Just like what about anyone did in the times before this www-reinforcing my belief it makes people lazy thinkers.The old faithful-the MOON Bill Dalton INDO handbook may have some hints-but thats from 15 years ago or so.

#2 Posted: 19/7/2014 - 06:06

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You could check out Tomohon Market, near Manado. I haven't been as I had no interest in this rather gruesome market, but I understand they have a large range of unusual meats: roast dog, bats, rats, cats, monkeys..... Google it and you will find out more. Can't recall, but maybe Somtam did a feature article on this site when he was in Sulawesi last year.

#3 Posted: 19/7/2014 - 12:25

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I only a very brief time in northern Sulawesi and didn't get around to eating bats unfortunately. A quick Google gave me this piece on Manadonese cuisine, which covers the bats, though unfortunately the restaurant recommendations are specific to Jakarta. Still, it's a starting point!

Good luck!

#4 Posted: 19/7/2014 - 17:37

• gecktrek

Click here to learn more about gecktrek
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2013
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 108

although I haven't visited sulawesi in a while, i concur with busylizzy that tomohon in the hills outside of monado would be the best place to find kelelawar, from my experience it was sold everywhere in north sumatra too...

#5 Posted: 19/7/2014 - 18:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.