Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

7 weeks Indonesian rough itenary. Advice needed thanks!

• CoolOperator

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2014

Hello everybody!
    I got some questions about my upcoming Indonesian trip and I would be very thankful for someones advice..

In a couple of weeks I'm flying over to Medan to start my Indonesian trip. I just got my 60 days visa in Penang.
    I have exactly 53 days to get from Medan to Bali and I would like to do it without flying.

I would love to buy a motorbike or scooter in Medan and drive it all the way to Bali and sell it there, but people tell me this is impossible.
    So I guess I have to use local transportation.

One other thing I'm wondering is how to spend my days. How much time should I spend on Sumatra and Java of my seven weeks?
    I think I will not spend more days in Bali than what I need to make a Thai visa before I'm flying out.

I would be thankful for any recommendations about Sumatra and Java. What else is a must on Sumatra than Lake Toba?

You don't need to give me an exact itenary, but I hope you can namedrop some places I must visit so I can plan my trip better.
    I can add that I'm usually a fast traveller who likes to rough it up.

Many thanks in advance.

C.

#1 Posted: 19/7/2014 - 04:41

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

I don't know who is telling you riding a motorbike from Medan to Bali is impossible -- they're wrong. Just but the bike in Medan, hop on and you're on your way. You won't be transferring the registration into your name first, of course, but that's no big deal, right?

The main point is that it is currently registered to at least someone. Expired rego/plates will cause some issues, but even then not insurmountable -- just potentially expensive.

I recommend Ketambe for orangutan/forest experience, Berastagi for volcano and Karo culture, lake toba, bukittinggi, harau valley, Padang. That's Sumatra done.

Advise to skip Jakarta. Bogor for botanical gardens, Bandung for volcano, garut for volcano, hot springs & temple plus maybe a volcano, pangandaran for some beach time, yogya, Dieng, Bromo & Ijen.

There all places that are doable in about 2 months.

If you don't have a motorbike, no problem. Just rent one in every town you're in. Prices range from 50,000 to 100,000. Otherwise you can get motorcycle taxis, regular taxis or catch local buses/angkots/mikrolets/bemos/labi-labi.

Anyway, you're going to need to do some research before you start your travel as information on the ground is very difficult to come by, especially as there are often no other or very few fellow travellers who can give decent recommendations.

#2 Posted: 19/7/2014 - 18:52

• CoolOperator

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2014

Thank you very much mooball for reaching out.

This is exactly the information I'm looking for.

#3 Posted: 19/7/2014 - 22:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
very rough itenary...advice infinitely appreciated! ... By andrea13 on 17 Jun 2011 3 2000 17 Jun 2011
4 weeks itenary for Thailand - Need advice ... By JamesATaber on 5 May 2010 9 2683 8 May 2010
5 month trip - rough route advice needed ! ... By nickolt on 28 Oct 2010 7 3117 6 Nov 2010
2 weeks in Vietnam!! advice needed ... By DeviouslySweet on 3 Jul 2011 6 3664 8 Jul 2011
2 weeks itinerary in Vietnam - advice needed ... By blimunda on 17 Nov 2011 9 3739 16 Dec 2011
Couple travelling Indonesia for x2 weeks advice needed ... By slow_mo on 16 Jan 2013 7 1791 29 Jan 2013
Budget advice needed! 4 weeks yunnan, vietnam and thailand ... By s0908946 on 14 Mar 2011 0 4475 14 Mar 2011
Itenary help/advice Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam ... By nhopkinsuk84 on 29 Aug 2013 11 1522 6 Sep 2013
Rough Six Month Itenerary: Thoughts, advice? ... By kbs84 on 13 Apr 2011 3 3241 13 Apr 2011