Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

new to travelling any pointers ?

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

starting in jakarta on the 25th of august and going to stay for up to 4 days maybe less there then my journey goes like this.

Jakarta to bogor by train
    bogor to cianjur by bus stopping at cipanas (cibodas botanical gardens??) worth it? for night >?
    cianjur to bandung by train then on to pangandaran to get good at surfing?
    pangandaran to yogyakarta, to solo (mt merapi climb is a must ) will i have time for mt lawu?
    solo to surabaya by train
    surabaya to malang ( mt bromo) hike or treck not sure
    malang to bunyumwangi then to bali

how does this sound are there any other things im missing.
    im thinking this will take around 25 days leaving me 5 days in bali before i have to get a new visa?

any thaughts or advice will be appreciated sorry for the messy layout this is what its like inside my head.

#1 Posted: 30/7/2014 - 11:21

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

a lot-if not all of that mess up in your brains could have easily already have been calmed by that old-fashioned thing called guidebook.After having read it for the Java part, you must have noted that trains are often not the best way to get onward-the obvious alternatives are in that book.
    In 4 days doing all that in Java: impossible, the trips alone need 4 days. Climbing often active volcano"s: get local advice and do not play that stupid tipical western whitehead too stubborn to take advice, as he has a preplanned trip from www alone. Situation can change by the day.

#2 Posted: 31/7/2014 - 05:53

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

hi I don't think you read this properly I said I have a month in java 4 days was just for jakarta after I have landed, I have looked at other transport but seeing that there is actually a train track the whole way means that i may be able to take the train most of the way also I have read if you go business class its usually quite good to get around I am not adverse to coaches if needs be and surely I will have to take a few. but anyway thanks for nothing and the climbs i just said i wanted to do them didn't say anything about doing them alone, actually I already have some contacts for guides and have read a lot about not climbing them alone so before you try trolling and just winding people up look at the information in front of you i have a itinerary, that is it a basic one month travel through java.

if any one else would like to comment with something worthwhile to add please do i would like some pointers from people who actually know what they are talking about.

#3 Posted: 31/7/2014 - 08:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey captainBkk,

Before you rush off to tell people to read a guidebook, perhaps clear the mess in your own brain and read the post? OP says 4 days in Jakarta - not Java.

#4 Posted: 31/7/2014 - 09:31

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

thank you somtom 2000

i was worried i hadnt wrote it properly what do you reckon about my itinerary then ?

#5 Posted: 31/7/2014 - 16:49

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

OK. To start, forget what captainBKK says about trains. They are a great way to travel across Java and most locals will prefer to do this rather than bus if they have the money. It's usually more expensive than the bus, but far more comfortable. The problem most people have is with regard to tickets. Most of the time you can just roll up to the train station on the spot and buy a ticket, but in busier times they are all booked in advance and you'll have to catch the bus.

First up, don't plan to spend 4 days in Jakarta. 1 full day is enough for most people after which time you should head to Bogor for the botanical gardens amongst a few other minor attractions. Catching the train is a great idea.

I've heard quite a few foreigners heading to Cianjur on their way west, but I'm not so familiar with what people are doing there. Might be worth a night, but not sure.

Bandung worth a night or 2 for looking at the local volcano and then a walk through the forest from Maribaya to ****.

Bus from Bandung to Pangandaran (careful not to get ripped off on the fare).

Pangandaran is a good spot for surfing. Nice cheap spot popular with locals, good seafood, decent beach.

Pangandaran to Yogya on the train is the best way to go. You'll need to catch a bus to a local train station first... or get a ride in a shuttle to the train station. Guesthouses often organise this.

Spend a couple of days in Yogya at least. Nice city, good attractions. You'll probably be spending 3 or 4 days given you want to climb Merapi.

At this point I'd recommend a side trip to the Dieng Plateau. Totally undervisited by foreigners. I harp on about it as it's usually left of people's itineraries and they're worse off for it.

If you're going to Solo just for the volcano, I wouldn't bother. I;d just find another volcano to climb somewhere else. Perhaps Semeru is a good option around the back of Bromo. It's the biggest in Java.

Not sure why you're going to Surabaya, but there is a few things to see and do around there. If you only plan to transit to go to Malang , then just catch a train from Yogya to Malang or even a bus...

And on the note, if you're only going to Malang to get up to Bromo, you might be best off heading the conventional way. A lot of people assume that there are many different easy ways to get to Bromo, but it's not true. There is only one option which is regularly used. The other options are used by people with private vehicles and in the case of the Malang approach, you need to get on a jeep from a town an hour from Malang.

Anyway, Malang is a nice city with a bunch of Buddhist temples surrounding it... makes a nice day trip on the back of a motorbike. Then you can get to Bromo this way - http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/indonesia/2012/02/20/alternative-route-gunung-bromo/

There is no need to return to Malang to then get to Banyuwangi. You can get from Bromo (Cemoro Lawang) to Probolinggo and then just catch one of the hundreds of buses which go to Banyuwangi. Some will even take you all the way to Denpasar... depends where in Bali you want to go I suppose.

#6 Posted: 1/8/2014 - 00:25

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

thank you so much !!!!

im taking solo and surabaya off the list and will definitely do the alternative route onto bromo.

also instead of 4 days in jakarta 1 day then onto krakatau 1 day ? what do you think ? also what other things are there to do in bandung as i havent found much so was thinking of only spending 1 day really as i think yoyakarta will take up at least 4/5?

dieng plateau i want to do so decided to add perkowerto from pangandaran climb mt slamet then on to dieng plateau how would i do the travel from perkowerto to dieng plateau ??

thank you so much for your help greatly appreciated i am so happy now :)

#7 Posted: 1/8/2014 - 15:33

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

also thinking of adding in the ijen plateau is it worth it how many days should i put aside i have about 3 spare if all goes to plan ? before needing a flight to Singapore to renew my visa ?
    p.s this is only half of my trip the next half is bali lombok and komodo, going to do those three in the 30 days after Singapore. any pointers on itinery welcome as i haven't got a good plan for that half yet been focusing on my java half of the trip ?

thanks again

#8 Posted: 1/8/2014 - 16:34

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I once spent two months in Jakarta and had a wonderful time. I did things like day trips to the botanical gardens and Taman Mini, and enjoyed more than a few good meals in the Jalan Jaksa area. But I was there for work, not fun, and I think that makes a big difference. Even now, if I had a choice between an extra day in Jakarta and an extra day in Yogya or Bali or Gili Air, there would be no contest.

When you go to Yogya, hang out at in the Gang I/Gang II area near Malioboro and the main train station. There are lots of good choices for accommodation and eats, and you'll meet lots of travellers - including heaps of Indonesians from other parts of the country. Yogya has those two UNESCO World Heritage sites of Prambanam and Borobodur to visit too, in addition to the suggestions above. Great batik and other shopping along Malioboro and absolutely the best prices we saw on our entire trip to Indonesia.

Now, as far as guidebooks go, I just don't think they are a practical resource anymore - certainly not like they used to be. First off, the research can be up to a year old before the book goes to print, meaning the information could be a year old or older before the book rolls off the press. Plus, I've met a few researchers out on the road during my travels, and they aren't always given enough time to do a thorough job for a given area. We've pretty much stopped using guidebooks, even as reading material on long bus rides or for the maps and telephone numbers simply because with a smart phone, you've got that information at your fingertips, and free wi-fi is pretty much everywhere - even in the most out-of-the-way bungalows on Gili Air. You are much better off doing online research and seeking information on travel forums like this one. That way you'll get up-to-date information from lots of voices (not just the one overworked and underpaid guidebook researcher). Sure you could get a guidebook, but you could also rig up two plastic cups and a string as a telephone. The question is, why would you?

#9 Posted: 1/8/2014 - 17:14

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

thank you very much i did read the lonely planet guidebook however since i got on here i basically threw it away, it is much better talking to people on here.

anyone with bali or lombok trips ideas im starting my research on them on Sunday as having a little break now to go to a friends wedding.

when i get back i will be planning my lambok bali and komodo part of this journey.

thank you for replying

#10 Posted: 1/8/2014 - 17:33

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Yes 1 day in Jakarta, but I wouldn't go to Krakatau... Well, you could, but it's a long way and it'll be quite expensive for the boat. About $60 from memory. And since Krakatau blew up, only Anak Krakatau is left which still supposed to be pretty good. :) Up to you. Where are you going to catch the boat from?

For you sort of journey there isn't a whole lot to do in Bandung. The two best things are Tangkuban Parahu and Kawah Putih. The first is a volcano which you can drive right to the top of -- a good easy volcano to visit. The second is a volcanic lake which is a bright milky blue. Pretty cool to see for 30 minutes before heading over to a lake down the road. Kawah Putih definitely better if you either rent a motorbike or motorbike taxi, but it can be done by public transport.

Purwokerto to Dieng... I know that route. It's an odd one, but funnily enough, buses in Java seem to run between even the most obscure points. So if you see two relatively large towns on a map, there will be buses between them. From Purwokerto, catch a bus to Wonosobo and then a connecting bus to Dieng. Watch your pockets -- had my wallet cleaned out on that route. :) Note that you will almost certainly be the only foreigner you see in Purwokerto. Probably the same for Wonosobo... and maybe even Dieng... There just aren't that many tourists outside of Jakarta, Bromo and Yogya in Java. Just the odd one here and there.

Ijen highly recommended. Swing through after Bromo. Head to Bondowoso and catch a motorbike taxi up and then get the guy to take you to Banyuwangi when you're finished. Will cost in the region of $20, but it's worth the expense as there is no public transport...

Next point. Don't go to Singapore for a new visa. Just get a 60 day tourist visa before you arrive in Indonesia. Apply at nearest Indonesian embassy. Easiest way to solve visa problem. If that's not possible, you can extend the 30 day visa in Bali, but it would be quicker to just fly to Singapore or KL and fly back.

30 days for Bali Lombok and Flores is not a lot of time to be honest. Bali is an incredible island that deserves time, in my view. People are scared because of other tourists on the island, but they're not a big deal... Flores (Komodo etc) deserves about 10 days. I don't know anything about Lombok, so can;t help there. I'd be tempted to either cut Lombok or Flores if I were you. Two weeks Bali, two weeks on the other.

One last point... is this your first time travelling overseas? If so, this is going to be a challenging trip. I'd take a guidebook. It's a good safety net.

#11 Posted: 1/8/2014 - 22:48

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

It is my first time i do have a few guide books so thats fine.

Ok im going to leave out Krakatoa then and give my self more days in-case I have difficulty with any thing.

and I have planned in the ijen plateau how many days should i spend there ?

and I may just do bali and lombok can u get trips that take you to komodo from either of them ?

thank you again for all your help

#12 Posted: 4/8/2014 - 10:36

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

One night around Ijen is enough with the next morning spent climbing to the top and the rest of the day spent travelling to Bali.

Trips from Lombok to Komodo are usually on a live on board boat and then fly from there back to Bali. I've never done one, but they are very popular for people wanting to see Komodo, but with not enough time for the rest of Flores. Either search for one online or find one on the ground in Bali/Lombok. I'd be inclined to get on the ground in Lombok and listen to what other travellers have to say.

#13 Posted: 4/8/2014 - 10:56

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

yh i think i will do a bali and lombok i want to climb rinjani

#14 Posted: 4/8/2014 - 11:29

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

i think then 2 weeks bali and 2 weeks lombok with a 4 day trip to komodo what does that sound like ?

starting in bali on the 27 of september till the 24th of october which is when i fly back to england so i would need a flight back to jakarta 23rd ish

#15 Posted: 4/8/2014 - 11:50

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Sounds pretty good! Just leave yourself a little bit of time for things going wrong... I'd probably not go back to Jakarta at the last second all the way from Flores... That is, if you decided to get off your tour to Komodo on the morning of the 23rd and then fly back to Jakarta on that day... It's definitely doable, but things can go wrong if you try to cut things too fine.

#16 Posted: 4/8/2014 - 12:02

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

so is there a place you can fly back to jakarta after komodo because i think thats what ill do, aim to finish on komodo and then fly back that day and have one more day in jakarta to relax and chill before my flight hometo england on the 24 ?

#17 Posted: 4/8/2014 - 12:15

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Yes. The local airport is in the town of Labuan Bajo on the very western tip of Flores. That town is a few hours boat ride from Komodo. These days there are regular flights from there to Bali.

#18 Posted: 4/8/2014 - 12:20

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

okay so i would need a flight from there to bali then connection to jakarta ? or is there a flight straight to jakarta ?

#19 Posted: 5/8/2014 - 06:44

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

i was wondering if you know anything about finding guides to climb the moutnains i intend to climb mt slamet and merapi, and semeru in particular ?
    will i find them in teh mountain resorts or in the citys like perwokerto or yogyakarta ? im looking online however the websites arnt very clear on where you find the guides ?

#20 Posted: 5/8/2014 - 08:01

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Flight is from Labuanbajo to Bali and then connect to Jakarta.

Guides hang out at the start of mountain trails in a little office. Just find out the closest town and you'll usually be able to find a guide pretty easily.

Semeru is a little different, I guess. You have to get up the back of Bromo and the place you stay at the night before will be able to arrange your guide. It's pretty remote up there and you will want to be getting transport from Malang --- buses and jeeps/motorbike. Depends on your exact schedule.

As for websites.. I wouldn't both doing a whole lot of your research on the internet. Most of the information you'll get on the ground. A rough route can be created from the internet, but some of those very specific things you want to know you'll find out on the day. It's just the way it works.

#21 Posted: 5/8/2014 - 08:06

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

thats brilliant thank you so much so in any mountain resort ill find them that brilliant thank you so much for your help its been absoluetly brilliant.

SO HELPFULL

P.S when im in indo will i be able to ask you for information or help if i get stuck a little bit are you online regularly.

#22 Posted: 5/8/2014 - 21:13

• tripster

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2014
    Location Singapore
    Places visited:
    At least 25

I think there is a lot more to do in Bandung if you still have time.

Other than Tangkuban Perahu and Kawah Putih that already mentioned above. You could visit Pemandian Ciater, it's kinda popular hot spring in the area and located not far from Tangkuban Perahu.

Bandung is well know for it's historical buildings which still like it was in the past. You could start walking in Braga area then go to Gedung Asia Africa, where the historical Asian African Conference was held.

And don't forget to try Dusun Bambu and Lembang. Both present great 360 view of the row of mountains. Breathtaking..!

#23 Posted: 5/8/2014 - 22:38

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Hey Daniel, I'll answer whenever I've got a chance. You're best bet though is to just roll with it. Indonesia is much more challenging to travel than most places in southeast Asia and you have to be patient. But with patience comes massive rewards, especially if you invest a small amount of time into learning some of the basics of the language. My suggestion is to learn the greetings, numbers and perhaps... who what where why... It's pretty easy and you could learn that over the course of a few days I'd say.

That being said, if you have no language skills, you will still get by.

#24 Posted: 5/8/2014 - 23:56

• Danielv2110

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

thank you very much for your help its been amazing.

#25 Posted: 6/8/2014 - 10:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
new to travelling any pointers ? ... By Danielv2110 on 30 Jul 2014 2 506 31 Jul 2014