Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Party Christmas in the Gili islands???

• trevstonbury

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2014

Hi All,
    I'm hoping someone here who has been to Indonesia before can give me a few suggestions.
    My girlfriend and I will be in Indonesia over Christmas and we are looking for ideas on where to stay. We are fairly young (25 and 31) and want go somewhere where there is night life so we can party but not to the point where its 24/7 party all the time and full of 18 year olds on a gap year (no offence to gap yearing 18yr olds!). We also want to be able to relax, eat some nice food and go on some nice activities. Our current thinking is Gili Air as its mid way between the busier Gili Trawangan and quiet Gili Meno. Just to give you a bit more background, we will both be backpacking ourselves and while we have a budget and will be hostelling we were looking to treat ourselves for several days over Christmas, ideally looking for on the beach front style bungalow accommodation.
    I’d really appreciate your thoughts on Gili Air and any other locations you think are worth considering in Bali, Lombok and any of the other islands, plus accommodation recommendations.
    Kind regards
    Trevor

#1 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 08:09

• Advertisement

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

Hi trevor,

The gilis will be very busy during christmas and you should book something fairly soon. Also, we have ( I live on GT) very few beachfront accommodations because building on the beach is prohibited, so all bungalows will be set back across from the beach road. If you want to be close enough to walk or pedal to town but far enough away from the crowds & the mosque you might want to look into places on the north or west side of the island. Anticipate spending 600,000 - 800,000 IDR per night for midrange accommodation during christmas.
    Gili Air is lovely but there are no party nights, if that's what you are after.

some suggested places to stay on GT: karma kayak, eden cottages or exile. Coconut dream bungalows is in town but set back a bit from the main strip if you want to be closer to the action of "sentral"

happy travels

#2 Posted: 14/8/2014 - 18:48

• MindsEye

Joined Travelfish
    15th August, 2014

I'm not entirely sure where savorygal gets her information, but there definitely are party nights on Gili Air nowadays. I just came back from there; I was on the island for about 3 months. I'd say it's starting to look more and more like Gili T. when it comes to parties and nightlife. Which really isn't that good a thing. For now it still is relatively quiet I suppose, when you compare it with Gili T. I haven't been around at Christmas but yes I imagine it would be busy and booking ahead is a must. Most places on Gili Air are walking distance from the beach (in fact, walking around the whole outside of the island only takes 90min.) and you can find something for every budget range. From basic places with basic amenities, to luxury bungalows with wifi, breakfast and a pool. The above mentioned prices seem a little steep to me, you might be able to get a nice enough accommodation for a little lower amount of IDR per night. In some cases it's worth contacting the owners personally to see if you can come up with a good price for the amount of days you want to stay.
    Personally, I think Bali is getting a bit too busy nowadays, even outside the high season. Still, if you have enough money to spend, it would be worth checking out places like Sanur, Seminyak or even Nusa Dua (usually very expensive).

#3 Posted: 15/8/2014 - 08:24

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

savorygal gets her information from living on the Gilis. she's a consistently reliable source of accurate information. so there!

i just returned from Gili Air too, and while my six days can't compare to three months, i'd agree with savorygal that Gili Air still isn't the party place that Gili T is. i imagine this is a matter of degrees of course, but the parties we saw and attended didn't compare to the blowouts we've seen elsewhere. you can still have a great time, but it isn't an all night, all the time kind of scene. but i did think it was the right amount of night life the OP is looking for.

i also agree with savory's suggestion that the Christmas holidays will be a very busy period, and that prices usually jump as the no vacancy signs go up. if it were me, i'd look to book one of the homestay-style places in the middle of the island. it is still a short and pleasant walk or a fun cimodo ride to nearly anywhere from there. cheers.

#4 Posted: 15/8/2014 - 09:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Gili Islands, Perenhian Islands, Yucatan or Golf of Thailand ... By travelinchen on 6 May 2011 4 2665 7 May 2011
Gili islands ... By somtam2000 on 17 Aug 2011 1 2969 17 Aug 2011
Gili Islands ... By karlrufus on 21 Feb 2012 0 775 21 Feb 2012
Companions for Bali&Gili Islands May 2011 ... By Nicol on 14 Jan 2011 6 2275 30 Apr 2011
Gili islands for about a month from the beginning of march? ... By Sampan on 3 Feb 2014 5 1017 10 Feb 2014
Visa extensions in Bali or the Gili Islands ... By bizzungax on 19 Nov 2011 6 4336 22 Nov 2011
CHRISTMAS HONEYMOON ON THAI ISLANDS WHICH ISLANDS DO YOU RECOMMEND ... By Warriorcandy on 1 Dec 2011 1 1058 4 Dec 2011
Any solo travelers headed to the Gili Islands in 2 weeks? ... By wkarnes on 27 Sep 2011 0 1850 27 Sep 2011
Mount Rinjani and Gili Islands - July 2014 ... By seangoh on 4 Apr 2014 0 514 4 Apr 2014