Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Mount Bromo (Malang – Tumpang - Jemplang Route)

• Aydonosaur

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2014

Hi there,

I am planning to travel (without a tour) to Mount Bromo coming from Yogyakarta _Java-Vacations.html">Yogyakarta. I would like to take the more scenic, but less travelled route, as I am interested in doing photography and I would like to traverse the Sea of Sand.

Can anyone offer some advise/directions on getting to Mt. Bromo via the Malang -Tumpang-Jemplang route?

I don't drive, so I will be relying on trains, hiring a taxi and hiking. I would like to know if there's a train that I can take from Yogyakarta to Malang (including train schedule/costs)? And if I can hire a taxi from Malang and what is the closest village that it can take me to (including where to hire and the cost)? Or would it be cheaper and is it possible to hire a taxi from Yogyakarta? Also, how long can I expect for the total journey to take and where can I stay overnight if need be or stop for food along the way?

Any information would help, as it is difficult to find directions and details regarding this uncommon route. Thank you.

#1 Posted: 21/8/2014 - 21:01

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Hi. I've done bits and pieces of the route. Trains do run between Malang and Yogya and take around 8 hours from memory. Website is http://tiket.kereta-api.co.id/ -- not working for me at the moment, but that's problem because of my connection.

After getting there, you're going to need to find a travel agency. From memory Helios Transport should be able to help out. If not, wherever you stay in Malang will be able to find a jeep for you. You are going to need a 4WD vehicle to go to Bromo from Malang. The road is crappy, steep and slippery. Either that or a motorbike.

Not sure if you're contemplating doing the trip from Yogya to Bromo in like 1 go... or maybe just one night or something. But if so, that's really rushing it. It will be an absolute pain. Better to do a tour.

So yeah, what you want to do is going to take time and patience. if you're lucky and arrive from Yogya in the morning, you could possibly line up a jeep to pick you up from the train station and take you straight to wherever you want to stay that night -- either Ngadas or Cemoro Lawang. But yeah, this sort of freestyle travel is usually easier to organise on the ground in Indonesia because nothing is predictable.

#2 Posted: 23/8/2014 - 04:29

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

get a guidebook-near all your Qs are answered there.
    There is just 1 rather slow thorugh train Yog-MLG, but many more connecting, I think that was in Purwokerto, but for me thats very long ago. Via Surabaya is likely quicker and has much more fancy trains in kelas bisnes. Normal persons with some sense and without that queer fondness of iron dragons, take a thorugh minibus, a ''travel'' that picks up and sets down at your choice. Even seat61 is quite sparse on Indo-its flooded with info on TH and MY.
    Out of the main roads in Indo are just those pesky tiny bemo's- first learn Indo/bahasa and slim to Indo size before trying to use them.

#3 Posted: 24/8/2014 - 12:17

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

is there some reason you don't want to go with a tour? we were in yogyakarta fairly recently, and noticed nearly all the guesthouses and travel shops in the alleys between Malioboro Street and the main train station offered some kind of tour. prices and schedules seemed pretty reasonable to us. some options returned to yogyakarta and others continued on to bali. i can understand the idea of wanting to do something on your own. but at the same time, i'd suggest the same thing as mooball, which is that some of these trips are such a pain that taking a tour really turns out to be the best option.

if you are still set on doing it without a tour, at least have a look in the travel shops in yogyakarta to get a sense of what routes they take, times, stops, and such. this should help you get a better sense of where the opportunities to eat, sleep, and hire transport will be. good luck!

#4 Posted: 24/8/2014 - 12:57

• Aydonosaur

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2014

Thanks for the info.
    I don't know if there are tours that travel through Ngadas, but Ngadas looks like a beautiful village for photography. Also, because I'm doing photography, I like the opportunity to explore different angles and stop when I see a good view, which I have found is not possible when on a tour. That is why I am attempting this solo.
    I plan on taking an overnight train from Yogyakarta to Malang and then I will definitely find someone with 4WD. I would like to stay in Ngadas for one night; hopefully I can find a guesthouse there. And then the following day I will head out to Bromo. Is it possible to hire a 4WD driver in Ngadas to visit Mount Bromo/Mount Penanjakan (I don't care so much for seeing Bromo at sunrise so I'll leave Ngadas mid morning)?
    Then I plan to travel to Bondowoso the same day? Can anyone suggest where I can find transportation to Bondowoso from Bromo? Will I be able to find a driver in Cemoro Lawang or will I have to take a bus in Probolinggo?

#5 Posted: 25/8/2014 - 16:26

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

I think the Malang -Ngadas-Bromo part of your trip is going to be one of those ones where you're going to need to wing it. Planning that part probably isn't going to work... But you will get a good independent trip and you won't get stuck. It's just that planning details like whether there will be a 4WD in Ngadas at a particular time is really difficult to predict unless someone here has the phone number of someone there to ask. Definitely hire the 4WD from Malang to Ngadas and look for a place to stay there. You'll get lots of good pics along the way. Should cost about $50 for the trip. From there just ask around for connection options. It will either be another 4WD charter, a passing 4WD coming from Tumpang with other passengers or an ojek. You could be lucky and hitchhike, but you're more likely just walk the whole way to Cemoro Lawang which is definitely doable.

If you're leaving Cemoro Lawang after viewing Bromo from Penanjakan, you're going to have limited time for those bus connections to Bondowoso. You should be able to find a driver in Cemoro Lawang without too much hassle. If not, just catch a bus to Probolinggo bus station and catch a bus from there to Bondowoso... Pretty simple journey. Just make sure you get on the right bus.

#6 Posted: 27/8/2014 - 01:41

• Aydonosaur

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2014

Thanks a lot for all your advise. This really helps. I figured that there would be a lot of winging it involved by taking this route, but I'm sure it'll be worth it for some great pics.

#7 Posted: 29/8/2014 - 15:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mount Bromo to Ijen Crater (No Tour!!) ... By Aydonosaur on 21 Aug 2014 1 612 23 Aug 2014
Bali - Ijen Lake - Mount Bromo - Surabaya tour - questions ... By khr132 on 1 Jun 2014 1 538 4 Jun 2014
Climbing Mount Batur and Mount Rinjani ... By noberoi31 on 27 Oct 2013 1 868 29 Oct 2013