Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Mount Bromo to Ijen Crater (No Tour!!)

• Aydonosaur

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2014

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Mount Bromo after an overnight stay in the village of Ngadas. I don't like tours, I don't drive and I probably can't ride an ojek due to a rolling duffel bag. Can anyone offer some directions/information?

Is it possible to hire a driver in Ngadas to take me to Mount Bromo and then Mount Penanjakan? Then from Mount Bromo I plan to head to Bondowoso and onward to Kawah Ijen. Where can I hire a driver from Mount Bromo or is it better to take a bus? Also, how long is the journey from Mount Bromo to Ijen crater? Can I reach there the same day (basically after exploring Mount Bromo for a like 5 hours)?
    I'm looking for information on length of journey, costs, transportation type, accommodations, and how best to arrange everything (website/email contacts etc)

#1 Posted: 21/8/2014 - 21:08

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

OK. First I'd read this if I were you:

http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/indonesia/2012/02/20/alternative-route-gunung-bromo/

That is how you're going to get to Ngadas. Any particular reason you want to stay in Ngadas? From Ngadas, you going to need to catch a jeep passing through to take you across to Bromo... or you could walk the 15km or so. But the best is to get an ojek. Not sure it would be a problem with the duffle bag. Or you could just a hire a jeep in Malang from a travel agency... They can take you wherever you want to go... can sleep overnight in Ngadas with you and then take you onwards. Just note that Ngadas is really remote and pretty much off the main tourist trail. I'm sure you'll be able to arrange some sort of onward transport -- I just don't know in what shape it will be.

Bromo to Ijen is pretty straightforward. Just catch the bus from Cemoro Lawang (the main Bromo accommodation town) to Probolinggo and then a bus from there to Bondowoso. There are direct buses, but it is possible you'll have scammers trying to get you onto the wrong bus -- one that drops you off on the side of the highway at the Bondowoso turnoff. Just make sure the final destination of the bus is Bondowoso. From Bondowoso you'll catch a minibus half up to Ijen and then you'll need to take a motorbike -- no buses to the top unless it's part of a tour or charter. Best option in my view is to hire an ojek from Bondowoso who can pick you up before sunrise and zoom you to the Ijen carpark, wait for you and take you down the other side to Banyuwangi for onward travel to Bali. Cost will be in the region of 150,000 - 200,000 rupiah.

Accommodation for Cemoro Lawang and Bondowoso is listed on Travelfish, Ngadas isn't. Pretty basic up there.

#2 Posted: 23/8/2014 - 04:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bali - Ijen Lake - Mount Bromo - Surabaya tour - questions ... By khr132 on 1 Jun 2014 1 489 4 Jun 2014
Bali to Ijen and Bromo ... By screamin on 8 Jul 2013 4 1062 12 Jul 2013
Mount Bromo (Malang – Tumpang - Jemplang Route) ... By Aydonosaur on 21 Aug 2014 6 508 29 Aug 2014
Recommendations for Mt. Bromo tour ... By travelinchen on 19 May 2011 6 3138 22 May 2011
Has anyone done the Yogi-Bromo-Bali tour?? ... By douluvme49 on 30 Sep 2011 0 1626 30 Sep 2011
Climbing Mount Batur and Mount Rinjani ... By noberoi31 on 27 Oct 2013 1 822 29 Oct 2013