Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Clear water, few tourists

• louiseee17

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2014

Hello,

My mum and I are traveling to Indonesia this month. After spending a week in the parks in Sumatra we'd love to see a beach or two the last week. I've been doing a lot of research, but there are so many beaches and some advice from first hand experience would be great. We would love a relaxed, scenic beach, preferably not huge resorts lining the coast with clear waters and nice sand (which I assume isn't too hard to find in Indonesia). I live in Thailand and I love the 'non-resorty', low-key vibe you can find on so many islands here. I was thinking maybe Gili Air and/or Balangan. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Thank you!
    Lou

#1 Posted: 30/8/2014 - 22:32

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

If you want few tourists, the facilities are likely to be not up to standard because decent places to stay are usually built because there are people coming to visit a place... So I would suggest a place like Pulau Weh where there are quite a few tourists, the water is wonderful, the vibe is very laid back and there a few decent places to stay. I haven't been to the Gilis, but there will be more than a few tourists over that way, I'm sure.

Another option is Karimunjawa in Central Java -- not so many tourists, but again hotels can be a bit rough and there is no electricity for most of the day. So yeah, getting that requirement of few tourists is going to be the biggest problem in my view...

#2 Posted: 1/9/2014 - 05:01

• Podi

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2014

I agree with pulau weh. Just got back from freddies and had a eally great time. Few tourists, good food and cheap. Check out banda aceh sites for a day too

#3 Posted: 1/9/2014 - 23:13

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

It depends what you mean by "non-resorty". Off the top of my head I can't think of many islands in Thailand without tourist resorts on them so it would help if you named one or two of the many islands you love.

Gilis are more Ko Tao type non resorty vibe. Lots of beach bungalows and there are beachbars and restaurants serving western food. Getting there is as easy as getting to a Thai island as well...zillions of travel agents in Bali can sell you minibus and ferry tickets. People are used to seeing westerners sunbathing in bikinis etc

Pulau Weh is a bit harder to reach. It's accessed via Banda Aceh which is still under Sharia law I think (ie strict Muslim culture). You'll probably have to overnight there before catching the ferry. I haven't been to Pulau Weh since 2005 (just after the tsunami when Banda Aceh was still mostly nothing but a huge expanse of rubble and debris) so things have probably changed a lot on Weh too but when I was there it wasn't done to sunbathe in skimpy bikinis in Iboih village which is where the beach is. Beer was available but you had to know the right people and be very discrete about drinking it. It was very expensive I remember, more than the cost of a night's accommodation for a small bintang! I think beer is freely available now but I'm not sure about the local attitude towards sunbathing in skimpy attire. Otherwise it was very laidback and relaxed, the kind of place you spend a lot of time in a hammock doing not a lot. I'm guessing there still aren't many chillax bars or western food options so it's hard to compare it to any Thai island because they all have those things.

Unless they've built a superhighway since I was there, you have to walk through the jungle to get to most of the guesthouses at Iboih so your Mum would have to be able to carry a backpack if you decided stay there. It's not too long a jungle trek..about 20-30 minutes to get to Yulia's if I remember right (Yulia's was the furthest GH from the village) and there's a path but it depends if your Mum has any mobility issues or if squat toilets and cold water mandis freak her out. There are more upmarket places to stay with easier access elsewhere on Weh if that's the case but they're more "resorty"!

#4 Posted: 3/9/2014 - 04:22

• podimore

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2007

Just returned from pulau weh. Not at all as described above any more. Bikinis ok on beaches close to resorts and alcohol freely available. Great place to spend time especially santai samur tiga. See above post

#5 Posted: 3/9/2014 - 04:40

• louiseee17

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2014

Thank you all so much for your input! Pulau Weh seemed perfect for us. We've booked 5 nights there and are very very excited.

#6 Posted: 3/9/2014 - 21:42

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Yes indeed. Hafta get myself to Palau Weh soon.

#7 Posted: 28/9/2014 - 02:11

• marianaamc

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2013

If you live in Thailand I would advise you maybe to go to Amed just because it's very different but beautiful. I loved it there and great snorkeling from the beaches, no need for boat, in my opinion better than in the gilis. But not very nice sand.

#8 Posted: 29/9/2014 - 17:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Crystal clear or brown water due to the flooding? ... By marikaki on 18 Oct 2011 0 1876 18 Oct 2011