Indonesia forum

Weather

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

As us Brits are midly obsessed with weather, and as I don't really know that much about Indonesia, any advice on best time of year to visit?

A quick google tells me it depends on where you go - so i guess the question is what time of year for which part?

Thanks
    Chris

#1 Posted: 15/4/2009 - 18:18

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

The rainy season is worst in December in January in most places I think. Late March to late October is probably the best time to go, though November can be OK too.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2009 - 18:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I can tell you today in Bali it is freakin hot -- F R E A K I N HOT!

#3 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 13:45

• beauone11

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2011

on the note of weather, I am currently picking up gear for my sea trip and will be in bali from mid oct-mid december then off to explore all of sea. Do I need a high quality rain jacket/shell?

#4 Posted: 2/10/2011 - 03:34

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Mid December is about the worst time you could possibly chose to start "exploring the sea" in Indonesia. The problem isn't so much getting wet (because it's not cold rain) but the waves.

There will be storms and rough seas. Indonesian boats are badly maintained and usually very overloaded so they frequently sink. You'd be better off exploring the sea in October and November, when the seas are usually calm. Depends whereabouts you are planning to go though. West Papua might be OK in December.

#5 Posted: 2/10/2011 - 13:37

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

Can any of you tell me what kind of rain is it in November? Is it heavy rain or is it possible to walk normally? I mean, is it that kind of rain which you canĀ“t do anything? Because some of you say November is rainy but ok, the weather forecast says "rain" everyday. I am planning my trip for next year. Thank you. Graciela. gracetandil@yahoo.com.ar

#6 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 18:51

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I just left a friend behind in Bali a week ago. While I was on the west and north coast, I had virtually no rain. Same in Kuta/Legian area. On the drive through the central highland, we got dumped on for an hour or two with some seriously heavy rain.

My friend has just spent the last week in Ubud and has had massive thunder storms every day. I think they have been hitting midday for an hour or so, and again in the evening. He has been able to get out and about in the mornings without problem and is just keeping an eye on things in the afternoon as he moves about.

I was in Bali, Lombok and Flores 2 years ago from Sept - Nov and again, had very little rain except near the end when in Lombok in early November. In that case, we got a dump of raim for an hour or so on a couple of day.

In these cases, the rain never stops us. You just work around it.

#7 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 22:55

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

In Bandung in Java for the past few weeks it has rained a lot. I guess if you were here for tourism purposes, it would still be OK, but just a little bit annoying if you were planning to get around on a motorbike. I guess the thing about the wet season is that it's usually wet, but not for the whole day. So take an umbrella and be patient.

#8 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 23:40

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

Thank you. I will take those tips into account. I have had some experiences with heavy rain in Hue, Vietnam, and it seemed it was never going to stop. So, if that happens in Indonesia, well, I think it might cause some problems.

#9 Posted: 15/11/2011 - 03:47

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Maybe far western areas are a bit different. I was on Sumatra last century in early December and it was definitely dry season then. I kinda remember from research that a lot of Sumatra is like the Thai Andaman - wet season mid year, dry season November to April/May.

But Sumatra is a biiig island over a biiiig latitudinal range - I think southern areas may be a bit different in their rainy seasons.

#10 Posted: 16/11/2011 - 23:24

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.