Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

How long in Indonesia?

• kraver_alex

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2009

Hi guys,

Me and my girlfriend are planning roughly an 8-month jaunt round Asia. We're taking in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Southwest China, Malaysia, hoping to spend a month in each (maybe about 40 days in Thailand and China) and are hoping to stick on a trip to Indonesia at the end.

Basically, I was interested in visiting Java, Lombok, Flores and Sumba, and one of Sumatra or Sulawesi, and what I want to know is whether a month and a half (40-45 days, I guess) would be sufficient to visit these places? My second question, and I realise it's always going to be a personal choice, is what would be better out of Sulawesi and Sumatra?

Thanks in advance guys!

Alex

#1 Posted: 31/5/2009 - 21:20

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Alex,

What are you're interests and, more specifically, how important is diving as a part of your travels, as I think that would be an important factor in deciding between Sulawesi and Sumatra.

#2 Posted: 1/6/2009 - 11:16

• kraver_alex

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2009

Hi somtam,

I'm not really interested in diving, I'm more interested in culture, history and nature, if that gives you a better idea?

Thanks!

P.S. In my original post I forgot to mention how much I love Travelfish! Absolutely vital and indescribably useful website for anyone planning a big trip like mine.

#3 Posted: 1/6/2009 - 15:18

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Alex

You could always start in Indo, flit across to peninsula Malaysia and work your way up to China.

To me, the 'hassle' with Indo is travel between islands. That said, if you plan your links, timing isn't necessarily an issue.

I know the Malaysians won't like me for saying this, but compared to Indo, Malaysia often seems like a westernised example of mainstream Indo. That said, there are some great places in Malaysia. So, you might choose to spend less time in Malaysia.

You've probably already worked out that there is 1 main religion, with 3 or 4 significant others. That in itself makes for interesting cultural 'enjoyments'.

cheers

#4 Posted: 2/6/2009 - 20:53

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

It may be too late but ...

Both Sumatra and Sulawesi would be OK but you are going to be pressed for time I think. Maybe Sulawesi ... Makassar is a big transport hub and it only takes 8 hours or so to get from there to Rantepao on a (very comfy) bus. Spectacular mountain scenery and trekking options too. If you can get hold of a local map and can speak a few words of Bahasa (to ask for directions) you don't really need any of those expensive guides who will no doubt try and get you to use their services for treks... I didn't anyway.

You can see very similar architecture in Northern Sumatra though (Lake Toba)and there's also Bukkit Lawang for the orang outans there. The transport to these two places isn't as comfortable or safe as the buses that go to Rantepao though and the bus journeys there aren't as scenic.

Maybe just opt for the one that's best logistically for you.

#5 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 19:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.