Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Update on Nusa Lembongan

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Nusa Lembongan is a small island about 15km off the south-east Bali mainland.
    Lembongan was has 5 very good reef surf-breaks suited to expert wave riders and was “discovered” by surfers in the 70s. This in turn attracted backpackers to the budget accommodation and laid back island life at JUNGUBATU BAY, the main surfing area. Midrange and higher tourists then became interested with some pretty attractive accommodation going in on non-surfing MUSHROOM BAY a few km south west. In recent years this type of development has accelerated greatly - with Mushroom Bay fully built out some time back most of this new stuff is on the southern hill overlooking Jungubatu Bay and lining the cliffs and small beaches between there and Mushroom Bay. I was amazed by the amount of new development since my last visit 3 years ago and how quite a few of the old surfer haunts have stepped up with aircon, pools etc.
    This wave of more affluent visitors means that the old slow boat public ferry and Perama boat acess have been augmented with a selection of fast speedboat services.
    About 2km south of Mushroom Bay is DREAM BEACH which I reckon is the best beach in Bali. Only one place on this isolated beach - flashpacker+ Dream Beach Bungalows. Note this beach has tricky surf and novices should be very careful when in the water.
    Note that diving is now a popular activity, snorkelling trips to the seldom visited bays of neighbouring Nusa Ceningan and Nusa Penida are rewarding and it is possible to organise fishing expeditions. Hiring a motorcycle or bicycle and exploring Lembongan and Ceningan is good value. Walking the coast track from Jungubatu to Mushroom is pleasant scenery wise.
    I've got a bunch of pix and more info from my third visit last month in the link below which may be useful to people thinking of visiting.

#1 Posted: 12/6/2009 - 11:52

• Advertisement

• paulclose

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011
    Total reviews: 5

We are staying at The Point which is around the rocky outcrop south of Mushrom Bay.
    Fabulous place. 4 luxury vilas overlooking the bay with infinity pool.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 03:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Indeed the Point is a fab spot -- our write up on it is here -- enjoy your stay :)

#3 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 05:00

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Paul and Stewart - what are the access details for The Point?
    Seems to me anywhere on Lembongan away from Jungubatu or Mushroom bays is a bit difficult.

#4 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 04:58

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

By motorbike, a good 20 min ride to Jungabatu. Fancy place, but pricey - personally I liked Secret Hits or Jenny's (both on Ceningan) which are a fraction of the price - just don't see the value in paying top dollar on Lembongan - better to blow that cash on Bali in my opinion as you'll go closer to commensurate service for the money.

Tezza, we're now based on the silly side (Umalas) feel free to drop us a line when you're about :)

#5 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 09:52

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Here's a link to roughly (by iPhone GPS) where the resort is. It's misleading to say it is near Mushroom Bay.

/s

#6 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 09:56

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Thanks.

Hey, Ceningan sounds good. I've toured it twice by bicycle which given the hills was a bit of a giggle. Nice to think the place is getting a few more places to stay. I'll Google them.

Jeez, Umalas. Are you joining the expat surfers? I read an article about all these north-west West Australian miners living in the stip up to Canngu and commuting to work on a fortnight on, fortnight off basis. Singhas and tube-shooting when off. And to cap it off they are earning $150000 driving dump trucks and paying next to zero rents on lovely Balinese villas. Not bad.

#7 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 04:33

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

"Singhas and tube shooting"

Oops, wrong country beer-wise. And surfing-wise come to think of it - no good surf in LOS.
    Make that: "Bintangs and barrell-blasting".

#8 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 17:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Umalas is close to the kid's school (on Laksmana) not a bad area -- still some rice views ;-)

Yup lots of miners here -- and lots of building -- Canggu is a construction site.

#9 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 20:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Guesthouse reviews: Nusa Lembongan ... By somtam2000 on 13 Oct 2009 3 3659 3 Nov 2009