Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Boats to Indonesia?!

• marcwilson87

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2009

Hello,

I'm planning a 6 month + trip around Asia and was hoping I could get a boat from Malaysia, or any other nearby country to anywhere in Indonesia? We haven't planned where in Indonesia we want to go, BUT we don know we don't really want to travel by air! We are trying to go from Malaysia to China without using planes...

Any help would be great, I have already learned so much from these forums already. My trip planning would be impossible without people like you!

Thanks,

Marc

#1 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 04:43

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Regular ferries from Penang to Medan in Sumatra.
    No doubt there are boats from East Malaysia (Sarawak, Sabah) to Kalimantan in Indonesian Borneo.

#2 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 18:48

• marcwilson87

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2009

cheers tezza, I have spent hours looking online and can't find any real info on boat transportation. Are the boats to Medan expensive? And is Medan worth visiting? If I can afford it I may has well venture out there, just wondering your opinions.

#3 Posted: 28/7/2009 - 20:21

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

#4 Posted: 29/7/2009 - 06:16

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Marc

There are ferries from various locations along peninsular Malaysia to Sumatra.

Aside from Penang, there are ferries that depart from:

Pelabuhan Klang (at Klang) for Tanjung Balai and Dumai,
    Melaka for Dumai,
    Kakup for Tanjung Balai, and
    Jahore Bahru for either Batu Ampar or Tanjung Pinang.

All these locations are on Sumatra.

I suggest you'll find the Melaka ferry the cheapest to Indo (but not entirely sure).

Before boarding, you'll need to show a valid entry visa to Indonesia.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 29/7/2009 - 12:49

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I've taken the Penang-Medan ferry a few times. It often takes longer than it's supposed to on account of engine trouble and once we left about 6 hours late leaving because the captain was in prison all morning on account of a stowaway being found on board.

Medan is not a "must see" destination IMO, quite the contrary. It's a typical dirty, noisy, traffic-congested Indonesian town. However it is a good entry point into Northern Sumatra ... Lake Toba and Bukkit Lawang are only a few hours from there. The driving on Sumatra can be slightly hair-raising. When I went to Lake Toba our minibus was having a race with two other minibuses...on the wrong side of a multi-lane highway. Best to avoid the front seats if you're of a nervous disposition because there are no front seat belts. The ones in our minibus had actually been cut off. When you sit further back you can't see quite as well just how close to death you are every few minutes.

#6 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 15:47

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

It's been a few years since I took the Medan ferry but it was not particularly expensive (I'm a budget traveller). As said above, Medan is no great attraction but is a good take-off base for the nicer places in North-Central Sumatra.
    A fair few cheap flights these days out of KL to Medan, Padang and other Sumatran places - check Air Asia.

#7 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 19:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.