Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

reasonable per day budget?

• ziplok

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2009

I'm heading to Indonesia for 2 months early next year and was wondering what would be a reasonable per day budget? I'm aiming for $50 per day, but who knows how things will go between now and then.
    Also, I'm landing in Bali, heading to Lombok, then the ferry to Flores. Any other suggestions beyond that?
    Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 09:06

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

$50 should be heaps if you stay in budget accommodation.

When you say "early next year" ... when exactly? The monsoon is at its worst from early December to early March. Although Flores is pretty dry compared to Bali, it still rains there and seas can be rough. If you are planning to do the Komodo/Rinca boat trip it might be very uncomfortable ...seasickness and passengers mostly have to sleep on the deck.

#2 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 19:00

• ziplok

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2009

My ticket leaves Vancouver Feb 1 and I come home April 1. Hopefully I'll just catch the end of the wet season.
    And yeah, definately planning on staying at budget places.
    Maybe I'll plan to head to Flores first, stay dry, then work my way back. At some point I'll have to a visa run too, as I guess you can only get 30 day visa's now.

#3 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 21:07

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

No, you can get a 60 day visa if you apply in advance at an Indonesian consulate. Only 30 days if you get a visa on arrival. A month should be enough to do what you are planning though... rather depends if you want to go further east once you get to Flores or not.

Trigana Air fly to Labuan Bajo from Bali....you can buy a ticket at the airport when you get to Denpassar. They use quite small planes but you'll probably have no problem getting a seat. Most people seem to do the boat trip in the direction you originally suggested and they all want to fly back to Bali so flights in that direction do tend to be full.

The best value accommodation is on Bali ... when I was in Kuta a couple of years ago $5 got me a very decent ensuite room and $8 got me a room in a place with a very large pool! There isn't so much competition when you get away from the hyper touristy places so you don't get as good value accommodation. eg in Labuan Bajo I paid $10 for a room that wasn't as good in town and $11 for a basic hut with no running water and only limited electricity on an island near there.

#4 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 01:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best sushi in Bangkok - within reasonable budget? ... By jessieo on 28 May 2009 0 1298 28 May 2009