Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

arriving late, where to stay/long term rentals

• musicalnoma-
    ds

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2008

We have been using travelfish for quite some time now and love it! Thanks for all the help we have received from reading everyone's posts as well as the travelfish write-ups on all of SEA. This is a great site:-)

We are arriving in Bali on Aug. 20 and since there isn't much written on Indonesia yet I need to ask a few questions and hope someone can help. 1) We arrive at Denpasar airport around 9:30 at night and don't know where to stay. We are thinking we need a cheap room for the night before we move on. We are singer/songwriters who are coming to Bali to hopefully find a nice, comfortable affordable place to reside for a while to do some song writing and recording. Probably need a house with privacy since we will be playing music and writing. We were thinking Ubud would be a good place to live for 2 months to accomplish this but that brings me to my second question-

2) Since we have never been to Bali we would appreciate any suggestions of nice places to live in Bali for people in our situation. We need internet and a quite environment. We also would like to have a nice and comfortable experience but on a small budget. We're a married couple hoping to live on no more than $30.00-$50.00 USD per day (preferably the lesser), nightlife is not required, but an area close enough to someplace we can get out to for some good food and social experiences. We also are open to living maybe for several weeks at a time in different areas on the island but we have a bit of luggage to pack up and carry all the time (2 guitars and 2 bags with mics, cables, etc. as well as a backpack of clothes each) We have been in SEA for 9 months now, settled in Vietnam for 6 months but need a quieter place to write and record, Bali seems perfect.... we hope!

Thanks so much for any suggestions, especially a cheap place near airport for the first night, perhaps it would it be better to get a taxi or will it cost a fortune at 10:00 at night to get to Ubud? If we do that then where to stay for a few nights while we look for long term accommodations.
    Thanks so much!

#1 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 11:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi musicalnomads,

Glad to hear you've found the site useful!

Ubud could fit the bill. We looked at a lot of simple two/three bedroom houses in the Ubud area in the Rp35-50million mark (per year, so say US$3,500-5,000 - rent is normally paid at least a year in advance here), so the housing side is affordable -- you'd pay a premium as you're not paying year up front, but still very affordable. The only "inhouse" issue is internet -- you'd need to check the house has a phone line or within a 3G signal (I don't think the later has floated to ubud yet) so you'd need to look into that.

Best approach is to flop at some guesthouse for a week or so and start looking -- I'd strongly recommend against organising anything before you got here as there is much more available than what you'd find online. Also bear in mind it is a mega peak season here at the moment so that will be affecting prices somewhat.

For the cab from the airport, I'd just head straight to Ubud -- it is about an hour by taxi from the airport, I can't rmeember what the set fee is, but the set rates are fare and certainly comprable to what you'd pay on the meter.

More questions, ask away!

#2 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 18:17

• musicalnoma-
    ds

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2008

Thanks Somtam2000-

We were thinking of heading straight to Ubud so you confirmed that for us. However, will it be difficult to get a room at 11:00 at night upon arrival? We haven't been able to get a booking on-line anywhere yet and only 47 hours from now we arrive!

Do you mind me asking what part of Bali you guys decided to live in? We would like to spend some of our time in another area, perhaps by the sea (or is it the ocean?) If we chose 2 areas what would you suggest besides Ubud?

Thanks again

#3 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 21:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Long term stay ... By jarb on 31 Mar 2009 1 2982 7 Apr 2009
Arriving late into Phuket Airport, what to do/where to stay? ... By rustythomson on 4 Dec 2013 2 990 29 Dec 2013
Long-ish term stay in Nha Trang ... By unclezmuda on 14 Feb 2009 2 5019 24 Mar 2009
Hotel deposit, especially for a long(er)-term stay? ... By mschloe on 25 Mar 2009 4 2768 30 Mar 2009
Apartment Ramkhamhaeng Road for Rent Short-Term, Long-Term Reasonable Price ... By theofficebkk on 21 Aug 2012 0 2002 21 Aug 2012
Short term rentals in Bali/Lombok ... By crofty on 17 Oct 2010 5 5503 27 Jan 2011
Arriving in late (Bangkok) ... By noel59 on 28 Jan 2011 14 2744 1 Feb 2011
Arriving Late in Bangkok ... By bdtjones on 20 Jan 2011 3 3443 23 Jan 2011
Arriving in BKK late at night ... By amylou on 26 Jan 2010 8 2610 28 Jan 2010
Arriving Late in Ho Chi Minh ... By TheOtherOne on 1 May 2009 2 2029 2 May 2009