Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Bali, Borneo, or elsewhere in December...?

• firsttimer

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2009

Hiya
    I'm just planning a 3 month trip starting in mid October and have come a bit unstuck! This is my first time travelling along so would appreciate any help.
    I plan to fly to Bangkok, have 10 days on the islands (east or west depending on the weather...?!) then am taking a 30 day tour of Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos with Gapadventures.
    I then have 2 weeks from the end of November before flying to Cairns, and don't know what to do with them!! I really want to go to Bali/Lombok/Komodo/Flores islands but have heard the weather could be terrible. Has anyone been at this time before and know what to expect? I've considered Borneo instead but am worried about going there alone, it might be a bit 'too adventurous' for me too. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd like to chill out, dive, explore and meet other travellers...
    Any tips greatfully received!

#1 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 02:33

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

December is smack bang in the middle of the wet season in Bali -- but I wouldn't say it means the weather is terrible. Wet - yes, expect some rain most days, but it isn't as bad as it sounds.

On the up side, there's less tourists here then -- which is fabulous as far as I'm concerned!

Lombok and the Gilis have more of a "traveller scene" than Bali does (outside of Kuta) but generally you won't have too many problems meeting up with other travellers.

#2 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 07:07

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

firsttimer

May I suggest that at this stage, you plan NOT to do anything with that time.

My hunch is that after a 30 day tour (especially if it is this one - look here ), you'll be really ready to slow down, take it easy, and especially have your own space. A month with the same people on a really fast trip around SE Asia can be quite taxing.

That said, in those 2 weeks or so, you can choose just to veg somewhere, or go and spend time at one or more of the places you've visited (ie, fly there back).

For example, you may have liked Chiang Mai , and not spent enough time to explore the region around Chiang Mai at your pace - eg, trekking at Chiang Dao, or elephant riding & veging out at Pai.

Or a quick excursion to Kanchanaburi from Bangkok.

The flights from Bangkok via low cost carriers such as AirAsia mean that you can choose if/where/when to go then, not now.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 13:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Malaysia/Borneo in 20 days in November/December ... By clarelovelace on 21 Nov 2010 1 3233 3 Dec 2010
Borneo and Bali ... By bird2468 on 5 Jan 2010 4 6053 6 Jan 2010
10 weeks Bali/Lombok/Borneo/Cambodia/Laos/Koh Tao ... By pippeline on 17 Apr 2010 5 5665 20 Apr 2010