Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Bali wet Season. How wet?

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Hi,

Will be visiting Bali in late Jan/early Feb and wondering how wet it will be. How will beaches and snorkeling be affected?

Can i expect similar conditions to Thailand's wet season?

thanks

#1 Posted: 12/9/2009 - 10:14

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Pretty wet. Yes, it is similar to Thailand's west coast monsoon -- so some rain, most days. While all day torrential rain is rare, January this year every house on our Gang was flooded (except ours) (we're in Sanur)

That said, there's some brilliantly clear days -- there isn't much haze and when it is clear it is gorgeous.

Snorkelling will be a bit cloudy depending on where you are, but I haven't done a lot of snorkelling here -- perhaps tezza or SBE will be able to chime in.

#2 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 14:19

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Sanur would probably be my first stop.

Any recommendations where to stay? have been spending upto $30AUD in Thailand but was expecting it to be quite a bit cheaper in Bali.

#3 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 15:18

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Flashbacks would be my first suggestion: http://www.flashbacks-chb.com/ Upper end of your budget, but for Sanur I reckon it's pretty good value. Great food too.

#4 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 15:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

And drop us a line when you're in Sanur!

#5 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 15:44

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

believe it or not i have already looked at that place! came recommended on baliblog.

They are Australian owners too yeah?
    Where are you from originally?

My budget is about $100AUD, do you think this will suffice without having to be a tightass and wanting to get around and see the sights/beaches etc

#6 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 16:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Baliblog is a good site for Bali. yeah I think the people behind flashbacks are from Oz -- i've not met them though.

We're also both from Oz.

A$100 a day is quite a bit I think. Obviously it will be dictated by your choice of accommodation, but food and drink is pretty cheap. Transport will add up, but it depends on how much stuff you're getting out and about doing. Eg motorbike hire is cheap, and cabs are cheap too -- but if you're getting around all the time in a cab, it does add up. For eg cab from here to Seminyak is about 70k (depending on traffic) so you do that a couple of times a day and it adds up!

Cheers

#7 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 17:44

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Yeah i wanted to do some day trips etc, so have budgeted for that as well.

Ive never hired a motorbike myself, basically because i know how many people have accidents in Thailand. Ive also ever ridden one myself, but always catch motorbike taxis.

I suppose if i just chilled most of the time and hired a driver for 1 day every few that would probably be the best option, or would you recommend something else?

#8 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 13:42

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, a car with a driver is the easiest and is certainly affordable. Motorcycle taxis are few and far between in the tourist areas.

#9 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 14:20

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Somtam and Jess - only done one Jan trip, my very first. Must have been lucky - in a fortnight got 90% sunshine!
    Didn't snorkel apart from Sanur lagoon. Okay for a muck around.

#10 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 16:03

• Advertisement

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

cheers to both of you

#11 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 16:23

• ricbell4416

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

I know this thread was started a long time ago now but I still found the replies re-assuring! My girlfriend and I are coming to Bali in February and with it being our first holiday together I'm really hoping the weather will be good!

I'm traveling the world for 10 months, while she is just coming out to meet me in the middle of my trip.

If anyone gets this and has any must see or do's in Bali then please let me know, any help is much appreciated.

So far we have a little jaunt to the Gili Islands in mind as heard its close to Paradise. Fingers crossed it lives up to expectation.

Thanks,

Ric

#12 Posted: 27/12/2010 - 20:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.