admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Given we don't cover Indonesia on Travelfish at the moment, following a request from Travelfisher busylizzy I'm setting up a few threads in the Indonesia section of the messageboard broken out into islands -- so one for Nusa Penida, another for Nusa Lembongan and so on. The idea is to provide a clearing house for traveller recommendations for places to stay while we umm and ahh about if we really want to research 17,000 islands or not!

A few suggestions and one rule:
    a) The more contact details the better
    b) Be as descriptive as you can
    c) Please don't ask questions in this thread -- this is just for suggestions -- if you have a questions about a specific place, please start a new thread and ask away.
    d) Note my emphasis above on traveller's recommendations -- this thread is not for guesthouse owners etc to promote their business -- thanks.

If you would like new threads started off, please let me know -- for now we'll keep it on an island basis.

#1 Posted: 13/10/2009 - 11:18

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Thanks Stuart!

JUNGUTBATU: Secret Garden

A great little place, about 50m behind the Pondok Baruna accommodation and World Dive centre, which is roughly where the Perama boat dropped me off. Walk up the concrete ramp that splits Pondok Baruna into two sections, and walk down the track. Don’t be put off by the rather desolate walk to Secret Garden – it’s like a little oasis once you get there.

Nice clean bungalow-style rooms with outdoor bathroom (western toilet). Mosquito coils in each room, and a hammock on the veranda – a nice way to laze away an afternoon. They have bicycles to rent, and one of the girls that worked there hired out her motor scooter for a reasonable rate. Run by the very friendly and helpful Ibu Wayan, with the help of an English couple, Reece and Mark who are also establishing a dive centre.

Cost 150,000rp/night, excluding breakfast – although you could get a decent breakfast there for a reasonable price.

#2 Posted: 13/10/2009 - 12:56

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

JUNGUBATU - AGUNG LODGE April 09

The strip of surfer/backpacker accommodation which lines the shore at Jungubatu Bay has moved upmarket since my last visit. As I walked north from the public ferry landing point, most places seemed-flash packer these days, some even lower-midrange, with pools out front, aircon, hot water etc. But pushing past one of the these, the long-time favourite Mainski Inn, I found next door the Agung Lembongan Lodge which was still offering old time budget type accommodation.
    I got me a basic fan room in a block of maybe a half dozen for 70 thousand rupia, no breakfast. They also has a handful of two storey bungalows which could sleep 4, at 150k. These are located fairly tightly in a garden area stretching back from the beachfront dining area which has great views of the lagoon, Shipwrecks surf break on the reef about 400m out and the mainland Bali coast maybe 20km away, backed by the mountains, including of course Agung volcano. Pretty nice place for a meal plus a beer of five - prices quite reasonable. There are plenty of neighbouring restaurants for variety.

Agung also has a small shop beachfront selling basic supplies - and they can hire you a motorcycle/bicycle and organise snorkelling and other boat trips.

My room was quite spacious, clean, in fairly good repair, comfy double bed, good fan, mozzie screens seemed to work okay even though I prefer a net. The bathroom was not pokey, western toilet, water pressure good (no hot water). The area was quiet at night.
    Staff members were cheerful and efficient.

The beach in this section of Jungubatu is not fantastic - being just about non-existent at high tide and having pretty shallow water close in at low tide. Actually it does not improve all that much further south or north - Mushroom Bay and Dream Beach are the places to head to for nicer beach conditions. I find it a real nice 45 minute walk along the coast to Mushroom.

To sum up, Agung Lodge didn’t blow me away as a FANTASTIC place to stay, but was certainly a pretty reasonable basic place in a very nice position, beach aside.
    No website I can find - ‘phone 0366 24483.

#3 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 18:01

• kukuruza

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2009

My God, it is remarkable, to travel and visit already on 17 islands.

#4 Posted: 3/11/2009 - 20:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Guesthouse reviews: Nusa Penida ... By somtam2000 on 13 Oct 2009 3 2497 13 Oct 2009
Update on Nusa Lembongan ... By tezza on 12 Jun 2009 8 3358 27 Mar 2012
Guesthouse reviews: Gili Trawagan ... By somtam2000 on 13 Oct 2009 7 5314 30 Nov 2009