Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Baggage "handlers" in Bali

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Hi all,

Never been to Bali before (going in Jan)and have heard numerous stories about locals taking your luggage while you are waiting to get your visa then charging extortionate amounts for it.

Heard someone at work the other day say one demanded $20AUD!

Whats the situation? How is it best to avoid it without any conflict?

Sorry if i sound like a noob but that would be a situation that would really get me annoyed and probably end up with me telling them where to go...which i don't think would be a good idea.

#1 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 18:54

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I was in Bali at the end of August and didn't experience/see any such thing happening. I even had 2 arrivals there.

Security is tight in Bali and not just anyone can wander around the baggage/immigration area! Plus, you get your luggage first, then get your visa and go through immigration. When you go through immigration you must have all your luggage with you.

I've been all over SE Asia and everything at the Bali Airport is very legit -- tight security, no rip-offs at immigration, fixed rate taxis, etc.

#2 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 19:26

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

well that's comforting.

But i've heard it from two separate people....Thanks for the info anyway!

#3 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 19:37

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

They must have been leaving their bags unattended outside the secure area then -- once you're in the main airport building, not before immigration/baggage claim.

#4 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 20:24

• hallf_brick

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I don't know about extortion so much, but in 2007 when I arrived in Denpasar, there were a few little porter type dudes looking very official. They helpfully (but unnecessarily) took our suitcases out front to a taxi, after which they asked for a ridiculous tip (around $15 NZD I think) and wouldn't leave until they got it.
    We were too naive and too tired to fight it, so we just paid up.
    So if a little guy tries to help you with your bags - just politely decline.

#5 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 06:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

ahhh it varies. The main hassle is that the above-mentioned porters grab most of the trolleys that do work, and unless you're firm with them, they won't give one to you.

When a porter/local comes up and motions to take your bag, just say "no thanks" -- I get approached every single time I come through and have never had to say anything more, though I guess if they were persistent, you may need to say "no" a few times.

My mother-in-law got done there a year ago with porters who "helped her" with her bags and she paid them maybe $5 for the priv -- if you do want to use a porter, pay them at the end -- 5,000 Rp per porter is plenty.

The airport is a complete shambles -- and security is actually extremely slack -- there used to be signs up saying that it didn't meet "bare minimum security by US standards" but I think they're gone now.

It's no big deal -- as long as you're not carrying a boogie bag full of pot!

#6 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 07:51

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

thanks guys...

I assumed it wouldn't be a big deal, but maybe the people who i spoke to were just a little new to the South East Asian region...

#7 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 16:15

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I have to say when I went thru in April they didn't hassle me - in the past I have had to be very firm with a NO. So maybe someone has responded to complaints.

#8 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 17:42

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

"So maybe someone has responded to complaints."

Denpasar airport being responsible to complaints -- I'd say that's definitely in the "highly unlikely" basket!

#9 Posted: 30/10/2009 - 08:39

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Yeah, I got carried away a bit there.

#10 Posted: 1/11/2009 - 18:48

• Advertisement

• Mike_V

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009

The porters are pretty persistent.

Either don't let go of your bags or just say No, thanks.

You'll probably have to insist several times that you don't want help.

It isn't far at all between the baggage carousel and the taxis.

It's not that big a deal, but I can see how a lot of people get caught by the porters especially if they haven't travelled in South East Asia much.

#11 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 06:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.