Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Where first? Arriving in Bali

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I arrive in Bali tomorrow from KL with no idea where to go? Kuta, I guess, would be the obv. First choice but I was thinking I might prefr to shoot up to ubud first and leave kuta untill the last few days before my return flight. I don't really have a plan of action which worries me slightly!

Any help would be great

#1 Posted: 1/11/2009 - 08:53

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've just got home after two very very relaxing laptop-free days in Ubud -- it's very busy at the moment, but also quite a bit cooler than down in the lowlands. I'm not a wrap on Kuta, but perhaps tezza or someone else will chime in with a reason on why it is actually worth visiting.

If you're after the "classic Bali beach" experience, you're better off heading further afield to say Balangan, Bingin or Padang Padang, but these are primarily surfer-heavy hangouts. Fab beaches though! See tezza's site for specific accom recommendations.

We're based in sleepy Sanur -- general demographic is euro-heavy family friendly -- not known for a cracking nightlife! But quite a popular "backpackery" place is Flashbacks http://www.flashbacks-chb.com/ I definitely rate the place. If you end up this way, drop me a line, I owe you a few beers for those Lao bus timetables ;-) Will email you my details.

#2 Posted: 1/11/2009 - 13:02

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

well well well, if all it takes is a Luang Nam Tha bus time table you're in for a treat. I'm pretty sure i've got Oudomxai, Luang Prabang [south], Vientiane [North] and maybe one more? all on my camera ready to upload and share on TF

anyway, ive just read about Sanur and it doesnt sound too bad. Maybe worth a stop. I don't really want KUTA to be my first destination...i think i'd prefer it to be my last so perhaps sleepy Sanur can be the first. I think i might just see where i can go once i get to the airport, maybe have a quick read about it then just go there.

I am definately going to head to Ubud and try and get to Munduk [sounds good in LP].

#3 Posted: 1/11/2009 - 15:01

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Well the thing about Kuta is the closeness to the airport, the availability of walk in accommodation just about any time and it being the hub for transport elsewhere. Sure the shopping, eating, partying are good - but as christay says, these can wait.

I do think Ubud is a bit of a stretch directly from the airport after a longish flight. Okay if you are coming from eslewhere in Indo or some other place near, I guess.

I must admit on several prior visits I've jumped in a cab and headed directly from the airport to Sanur. I think you are looking at 20 minutes max, and Sanur is so much more relaxed. Still a good base to head off to other Bali locations too.

#4 Posted: 1/11/2009 - 18:57

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

i think that sanur seems like a good first place to go and i think that Kuta will be my last destination - if i have time - to maybe party and chill out on a tourist beach all day...spending the last of my indonesian currency.

Who knows where i will go from there but i think you are right in saying Ubud is abit far after a long flight. Is the flight from Malaysia to Indonesia long? i thought around 2 hours? regardless, Sanur seems likely, Kuta does not!

i'll try and write a good Laos/Indo/Malaysia report when i get the time and when i find free internet. I have been writing stuff down by hand in my notebook though so its just a case of typing it out

#5 Posted: 1/11/2009 - 19:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.