Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Borneo and Bali

• bird2468

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

Hi All

My friend and I have been traveling around South East Asia for the past 2 months and are due to go to Australia on 18th January.

Due to some serious overspending we are considering cutting Oz short and extending our time here. We wondered if it is possible to fly from KL to Borneo then on to Bali before returning to Singapore for our flight to Australia.

Also, given this a fairly new idea we know very little about Borneo and could do with a few tips on how much time we'd need there and whether it would be possible to volunteer (or if not visit) an orangutan sanctuary... if so, which?

Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

#1 Posted: 5/1/2010 - 16:06

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Check out Air Asia.

The weather might not be too good in Borneo or Bali right now though.

#2 Posted: 5/1/2010 - 16:50

• pythagnz

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2005
    Total reviews: 12

My sister and I spent 3 weeks in Sabah a few years ago. This seemed to be the right amount of time for a reasonable exploration of this state alone. We climbed Mt Kinabalu, spent a couple of days at Poring Hot Springs, went to the Sepilok Orangutan sanctuary and spent 3 days at Uncle Tan's jungle camp. We also did a couple of day trips from KK (snorkelling etc).

You could condense the time eg by not climbing Mt Kinabalu or going over to Sandakan area. I would think if you wanted to explore Sarawak as well you would want at least a couple of weeks for that State too. I'm not sure about the Kalimantan/Indonesian part of Borneo, as I haven't been there.

#3 Posted: 6/1/2010 - 08:18

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Don't think there's any direct flights between the two places... you'll need to connect in Singapore or KL.

#4 Posted: 6/1/2010 - 09:19

• bird2468

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

Thanks for the replies, is the weather really that bad at this time of year? We're from the UK so we can handle a bit of rain!

Is it not possible to get a boat from Borneo to Bali either? Does anyone know how easy it is to fly from Borneo to Jakarta and then get a boat over that way?

I think we'll probably have about a week or so in Borneo if, logisitically we can go, will this be enough to squeeze in the main attractions? i.e. the orangutan sanctuary.

#5 Posted: 6/1/2010 - 22:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bali, Borneo, or elsewhere in December...? ... By firsttimer on 9 Sep 2009 2 5818 9 Sep 2009
10 weeks Bali/Lombok/Borneo/Cambodia/Laos/Koh Tao ... By pippeline on 17 Apr 2010 5 5740 20 Apr 2010